Disallusioned with A2

A2B

A2OC Donor
I bought an A2 in March and since then have experienced EPC and engine warning lights intermittently appearing. The car seems to run ok, I can only assume that something has gone very slightly out of tolerance or the that the fault warning system has a fault itself. This is of course disconcerting as you continually worry that something's going to stop.

The locking system stopped working. You can only lock the front doors with the remote, you have lock the back doors with the switch on the drivers door first. The lights don't flash when you lock any more. Second key doesn't work. Quoted £411 to fix.

Water pumps gone - quoted £658 to replace inc. cambelt.

The anti roll bar is worn - quoted £318 to replace.

I had a service (special offer half price at Amersham Audi £170). I didn't realise that service means oil change. I thought it at least would include minor work such as greasing door hinges.

Honestly the car's too expensive to maintain.

Its the first German car I've had and all the hype about reliability is just not true.

Somebody tell me I didn't make a mistake.

Sorry just venting off.

Sorry to here you've had so many problems with your A2, what problems are you still having? Have you checked if there is anyone close by that could run a diagnostics, most of them on here with a vag.com will probably do this for free

Cheers Phil

P.s. the anti roll bar worn will probably be just the moded parts they are only about £5 each plus fitting, do a search for the bush part numbers on here

Last edited:
Sorry A2B, but your post looks like it's trying to start a flame, even if you are venting.
To start off, the water pump has gone because most likely it wasn't replaced at the scheduled interval. This in turn caused the engine to be inadequately served by the pump, giving you those EPC and engine warnings. You can find full cambelt and pump replacement for as little as 400 pounds, if what the UK members are saying is right. It's a good idea to to this when you buy a second hand car, even if you think it has a fair enough history.:)
The doors not locking with the remote but locking with the button sounds like an alarm unit fault and not an actuator/connection problem. This might mean you need to change the alarm unit. A VAGCOM scan will tell you what's what.
The ARB is a known issue, if you do a small search you will find that for a tenner you can fix this problem with the new design bushes, and not for 318£ what the stealer are asking you.
It's your own fault if you pay 170£ for an oil change. It's a DIY job and the oil is about 70£.
Try to keep a cool head and take all the small things step by step, and you'll see that you have a good sturdy car that hates fuel pumps and loves to please.:D

Honestly the car's too expensive to maintain.
Its the first German car I've had and all the hype about reliability is just not true.
Agree with previous post, perservere and you will get lots of help and advice on this friendly forum. On the subject of German reliability, Ive had 5 different Audis and in general they have never skipped a beat apart from small things like ABS sensors and normal service items. I'd always go with a recommended independant garage who know Audi well unless its warranty work. The hourly rate is just too steep at main dealers. Hope you stick with it, the A2 is the best car we've ever had!

Last edited:
Welcome.
Firstly - you've done the right thing in visiting this forum.
Secondly - I think you've had a bit of bad luck, a bit of being led up the garden path by the "stealer", and a bit of what you'd expect from a 2nd hand car.
Third - no car is ever 100% reliable 100% of the time. Things wear out, go wrong, are designed badly, repaired badly etc. However, in my experience (and this is my 5th), Audis are generally reliable, generally well designed and the communities around them (like this forum) are generally incredibly knowlegeable and helpful.

I suggest you find an A2Forum member local to you who has a copy of "VAGCOM" - then you can get a proper diagnostic scan off the car's ECU to help track and diagnose some of the faults you're explaining. I then suggest you do a couple of hours of searching on this forum for how to fix the known issue with the anti-roll bar, common causes of the ECU warning light etc. Plus get some tools from Halfrauds and start learning how to fix things yourself - greasing hinges and changing oil is the simplest task, no sense in paying someone else £170 for the privilage! I also suggest you keep well away from the Audi Main Dealers in future!

Finally - relax and enjoy driving a clever and unique piece of motoring technology. This forum will do everything it can to help you, if you're prepared to give it a go...

If the service was half price I would think that was a full service price at £170? I had door hinges greased. I was quoted for an oil change at full price no offers £120-130 inc oil at Portsmouth Audi a couple of months ago.

Hi A2B,

I understand exactly what you are saying. We were lucky with our A2, everything failed when it was under warranty, and that saved us about £1k of work. At the end of the day (sorry for the football manager cliche:eek:) my car is nearly six years old, and things wear out. I had the cambelt and water pump done last year, as per the advice given in this forum. Yes it cost more than a Fiesta or Corsa, but I don't want to drive round in one of those supermini's!! Having such a beautiful piece of design and engineering on the drive has cost associated with it, and personally I think it is a cost worth paying. This forum is by far the best one I come across, so you have access to the best knowledge anywhere on the A2. Some of the members (arise Sir Skipton!!) will go the beyond the call of duty to help get you out of trouble, and thus improve the ownership experience, and reduce the cost.

I hope you stick with it, A2's have a tendency of getting under your skin, in both good and bad ways! And once smitten, you will find it very hard to part company.

Best of luck,

David

Back