Disconnected Battery - Radio Dead

Jayceyned

Hello a2oc,

This afternoon, I attempted to change battery in my A2... I didn't end up changing it as I couldn't find torx drivers, so I reconnected the old battery. Since disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, my stereo is completely dead. No lights turn on on the unit, it doesn't ask for any codes, just dead.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened, no big sparks & everything else on the car is fine.

I have checked the fuse in the main fuse box and it is not blown.

Any one else had a similar issue / any ideas?

Thanks for any help, :D

Jay.

Hello a2oc,

This afternoon, I attempted to change battery in my A2... I didn't end up changing it as I couldn't find torx drivers, so I reconnected the old battery. Since disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, my stereo is completely dead. No lights turn on on the unit, it doesn't ask for any codes, just dead.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened, no big sparks & everything else on the car is fine.

I have checked the fuse in the main fuse box and it is not blown.

Any one else had a similar issue / any ideas?

Thanks for any help, :D

Jay.

Have you checked the smaller wires that are connected to the positive lead of the battery? Are they tight?

Steve B

Hello Jay

You don't mention if your A2 is fitted with a standard stereo but my suspicion is a blown fuse fitted to the rear of the unit. You will need the extraction keys to remove the stereo from the dash to confirm that the fuse is in fact still serviceable.

With regards to disconnecting & re-connecting the battery, there is a sequence that should be followed to minimise risk of blown fuses but more importantly to eliminate the risk of accidental airbag deployment and possible injury.

Disconnecting: Ensure you have your radio code, turn ignition on at the key until the dash cluster warning lights illuminate - only then should the battery terminals be disconnected and ALWAYS remove the negative clamp first.

Re-connecting: Again, turn on ignition at the key but note that there will be no illumination - reconnect the battery putting the POSITIVE clamp on first. When re-connecting, ensure there are no occupants within the vehicle.

It is good practice to also switch on an electrical circuit such as the headlamps to "draw" any surge that may blow fuses and also affect the airbag sensors.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get along.

blue skies
tony

Thanks for your help guys;

i fixed it yesterday evening and thought I would share. Turns out that buttons on old A2's can get REALLY sticky. Ever since I bought the A2 I was surprised that I was never able to switch off the radio... I pressed the knob hundereds of time; tried pulling it and was never able to turn the power off.

After finding a user manual for a similar standard radio; I was determined to find the on/off switch. I pulled the volume knob off the spindle, and pushed back on again. After doing a few times, the press-switch action on the volume knob came to life and I was able to switch the radio on.

So, I simply hadn't turned it on.

Thanks for all your help.

Am sure I'll post again soon as I am finally starting to sort my little car out after owning for nearly a year.

Jay.

It just proves that however hard we try to remotely diagnose problems you can substitute just being there.
But we will always try.

I don't think anyone could have guessed at that cause.

Thanks for letting us know Jay.

Always useful to hear what the cause was.

Steve B

Back