Discs & brakes: upgrade recommendation needed

6stings

A2OC Donor
Looking at those Brembos on pocolocos red devile, I sure want to do the upgrade!
I have seen others have fitted bigger discs and better brakes on their A2s, so I need some expert's help.
I appreciate any recommendation, parts numbers, specs, prices, links to good deals on parts!
This will be my March/April project, no doubt about that!

Cheers,
Darko

It turned out 'Big Brembos' discussed in Maso's thread were just clip-on covers.
I linked some threads on big brakes and the starting point of such a conversion is to fit Audi TT hubs with bolt-on caliper mounting brackets - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?26325-Fellow-A2OC-members-HELP-needed&p=208627#post208627

For reference, A2 hubs have an integral mounting for the calipers which is part of the hub casting, preventing the use of anything but standard size calipers and discs

Cheers Spike

Best brake upgrade Ate Power discs and ceramic pads from A2 cars .
Lots progressive braking and a bonus of NO brake dust

The ATE catalogue suggests the ceramic pads are more compatible with standard discs.

QUOTE -

Brake Pad Set, disc brake ATE Ceramic

Trade Numbers: LD7117, 23130, 23131, 23187
Fitting Position: Front Axle
from MY: 06/2000 to MY: 07/2005
Width: 146 mm, Height: 54,7 mm, Thickness/Strength: 19,6 mm, Wear Warning Contact: incl. wear warning contact, Warning Contact Length: 145 mm, Brake System: Volkswagen, Appr. stamp: E1 90R-011403/1259, MAPP code available
- Technically it is possible to combine ATE Ceramic brake pads
with the PowerDisc or with perforated brake discs. The brak
ing power with such a pairing is the same as with an origina
l ATE brake pad or OE brake pad. However, when the two compo
nents interact they can generate more noise in braking. ATE
Ceramic brake pads were developed for comfort-oriented drive
rs. We therefore recommend using them with normal brake disc
s, i.e. smooth ones.

Are they being over cautious or do you experience any extra noise under braking ?

Cheers Spike

Looking at those Brembos on pocolocos red devile, I sure want to do the upgrade!
I have seen others have fitted bigger discs and better brakes on their A2s, so I need some expert's help.
I appreciate any recommendation, parts numbers, specs, prices, links to good deals on parts!
This will be my March/April project, no doubt about that!

Cheers,
Darko

Hahaha thanks!!! http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6026601156.html?orderId=61183694547632

27b60466c852902583de6b74bd4331c9.jpg5b9c5c6c62afaf1af511f509782879a1.jpg66a19b6b9d2619dbd24873fb5015055e.jpg4590fbab824cbb3ef097d90c147509e0.jpge5db43b2908b10abdb826b794e7875a1.jpgd8cb6f12c36de2ca1cab384dd5983e4e.jpg

I also went for powerdisks & ceramic pads.

The comment in the catalogue relates to braking noise rather than a functional problem. I have had the brakes squeak a couple of times (sounding the same as if the pads were a bit rusty), but 99% of the time it is the same as before.

The advantage of the powerdisks for me is that it makes it much easier to see how much material is left on the disks before they need to be changed (otherwise I have no clue). Overall I think it was the right choice. Someone who knows how to recognise worn disks would probably prefer the normal disks since they wouldn't need that help.

The advantage of the ceramic pads for me is that they produce no brake dust - before, I would clean the car, and within a few days the front wheels would be covered in black brake dust. Now, the front wheels are just as clean as the rears.

Last edited:
Discs & brakes: upgrade recommendation needed

Thanks, Maso! Do you have pads part number maybe, can't find replacements for A2 on their site?

Hilsen,
Darko

Will check on my invoice what part nr it is as the part nr in the catalogue doesnt say its for A2 but since some VAG cars share same pads they dudes at the raceshop did some searching.

STOPTECH part nr is 309.07681 and I payed £91 for a front set. I bought 'em at PEAN SWEDEN www.peansweden.com

They can surely assist you as well if help is needed. Give them my regards and they will know what you want as I buy STOPTECH pads for my rides; BMWs , Merc AMG and A2.

I'll give you my customer nr so they will find my order and copy it for you; Customer code 12864
Regards Alan

Last edited:
Will check on my invoice what part nr it is as the part nr in the catalogue doesnt say its for A2 but since some VAG cars share same pads they dudes at the raceshop did some searching.

STOPTECH part nr is 309.07681 and I payed £91 for a front set. I bought 'em at PEAN SWEDEN www.peansweden.com

They can surely assist you as well if help is needed. Give them my regards and they will know what you want as I buy STOPTECH pads for my rides; BMWs , Merc AMG and A2.

I'll give you my customer nr so they will find my order and copy it for you; Customer code 12864
Regards Alan

Thanks , nice site i like te akrapovic parts :p

I used to live in Gent for 3years. 2years in Antwerp and 1,5 years in Maastricht. Picked up a few words

Back