Does anyone have a scrap platinum door card

Jeetesh

Hi,

I want to try to refurbish yellowing door cards however it does not seem like there are any simple/easy options owing to the fact that the yellowing is due to the age and deterioration in the plastic.

My research suggests bromine (a flame retardant) was added in the manufacturing process and when exposed to UV, over time the molecules destabilise causing the plastic to turn yellow.

Possible solutions are bleaching, peroxide or an even more abrasive techniques.

I clearly don’t want to try these on my door cards as there aren’t really any non visible test areas and don’t want to try something that hasn’t been tested previously (assuming I’ve searched properly on the forum) so my thought was to check if anyone had a scrap/broken platinum (light grey) coloured door card that they didn’t want so I can test the effects that these possible solutions may have on the plastic, it’s integrity or any other issues. I’m happy to report back if any work or ill effects and if I’m satisfied with the outcome I’ll refurb my door cards.

Ideally I’m looking for a door card that someone doesn’t want (I don’t want to buy an extortionate eBay item to experiment on and within a reasonable distance of Leeds so I can collect.

If anyone has one it would be greatly appreciated.

Jeetesh

Worst case scenario, I have a full set of soul black ones available for a princely sum of £20 plus p&p(usually about £10).
Andy

Worst case scenario, I have a full set of soul black ones available for a princely sum of £20 plus p&p(usually about £10).
Andy
Nice idea but if I changed the door cards to soul black, I’d need lots of other soul black items to match it all up, I’ve just bought some Bose grills in platinum so wasn’t planning on changing the interior colour.

What I may do however is what a lot of others have done and get more than one A2. I could then swap and change parts accordingly. ?

I haven’t really considered either option.

Painting -I’ve not come across this and probably need to research a bit more.

Recovering - I’ve seen the odd car with leather covered abs plastic covered parts on door cards however they had matching interior so looked good. I don’t want to recover my seats so not considered this.

I want to keep the OEM look to the car so painting might be an option, if you know of where this has been done let me know otherwise I’ll start researching.

Thanks for the ideas, it’s getting the grey matter thinking about possible options.

Jeetesh

Back