Door Stay

ksimpson

Had the front door stays done when we bought the car as they were clunking rather loudly. They were great when we got them back from the dealer, however, after a couple of months, the driver's door was worse than ever.

We had them fix it, but was just as bad a month later. As the dealer is over 100 miles away, I had a go at fixing it myself.

The pin in the hinge of the door stay appears to be dropping down causing the door to clunk when opening and closing. I lightly tapped it with an Irish screwdriver (hammer:D) and it went back in to position and all was fine.

A week later, it was clunking again. The pin drops downwards. It would make more sense if the pin was inserted from the top. Am I missing something? It's easy to get back into position, but it doesn't stay there.

Hi Ken,

I had an identical pin problem with my offside door. I didn't have any of the clunking that you describe, but the pin kept dropping down and required weekly repositioning. (It was the keen eye of Mike, (Skipton), that alerted me to the issue).

The solve was to take the car back to Audi under warranty at the time and have a new pin put in. I am sure that there is a logic somewhere, but why you have a pin that defies the law of gravity beats me!!

Cheers,

Darren

Back