Driving an A2 in the storms - what's it like?

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Hi

I've not been out in the A2 much over the last 3 days but I was wondering how other A2 owners have been finding the handling of the A2 in these strong winds, especially in those areas where vehicles have been blown over and structural damage occurred. Does the A2 streamlined shape offset its lightness?

it's only a little worse than anything else iv'e driven in crosswinds, maybe because it's so light? worst ever was my old smart fortwo:(

They don't seem that effected by strong winds, I've been trotting up and down motorways in all kinds of gales over the past few days, and my A2 only gets noticeably pushed about by direct side winds (it handles those pretty well to).

Sorry to disagree Keith B but i find the A2 a tad too flighty in crosswinds. My daily commute across the M65 is plauged with them and compared to my wifes golf (which seems planted) my A2 feels exposed.
I run roof bars for probably 70% of all my mileage yet even with these off I notice the wind

Steve

Sorry to disagree Keith B but i find the A2 a tad too flighty in crosswinds. My daily commute across the M65 is plauged with them and compared to my wifes golf (which seems planted) my A2 feels exposed.
I run roof bars for probably 70% of all my mileage yet even with these off I notice the wind

Steve

I suppose I am comparing it to my old Minis and my mates Smart FourTwo (which is scary in the slightest wind). Would the Sport model be more planted in windy weather? (lower/stiffer suspension and wider tyres)? I have Yokohama Parada's which are a fairly sticky tyre, would that make any difference?

Would the Sport model be more planted in windy weather? (lower/stiffer suspension and wider tyres)?

Although I have a 'special edition', I am running Koni FSDs, Weitec springs and 17" wheels and like everyone else has stated so far... I can confirm that there is no escaping the side winds and the tall sided styling of the A2!! :)

The A2 is one of the worst cars I've had in cross-winds. I'm not saying it's dangerous, just that most cars are better in this respect. The best cars I've had were Alfa 164s - absolutely rock solid when other cars are being blown around. No corrective steering was needed at all. I've just got a VW Touran, and that's not bad - surprising considering its shape.

The A2's a great car, don't get me wrong, but it would be even nicer without its flaws!

drive safely

I have done some research into this problem,
we drive our A2 down the promenade in Blackpool regularily (this can be very bad for cross winds).
The best way to reduce the impact of the side winds is to give yourself slightly more time before travelling and feast on the largest breakfast available in your local cafe :D it is important to remember that the more you eat the more you increase the weight of your A2 and therefore the stability of the vehicle, therefore you really could be eating for your life :confused: I do it regularily and always feel better having eaten a grand breakfast for "safety" reasons :D

The handling of my A2 in strong winds is BRILLIANT - compared to the alternative, my Smart ForOwt. Went across the Humber Bridge on Wednesday and, if I'd been in the Smart, it would have been blown into the river.

My wife's car is a Toya 'rolla, which is only fractionally more stable than the A2 in X-winds.

The best way to reduce the impact of the side winds is to give yourself slightly more time before travelling and feast on the largest breakfast available in your local cafe :D it is important to remember that the more you eat the more you increase the weight of your A2 and therefore the stability of the vehicle, therefore you really could be eating for your life :confused: I do it regularily and always feel better having eaten a grand breakfast for "safety" reasons :D

If you're worried about health and cholesterol then there's a good workaround: feed it to the kids then get them to lie on the car floor. This has the advantage of (a) adding a number of breakfasts to the weight of the car, and (b) lowering the centre of gravity. ;)

I'm expecting a call from my local social services or Police child protection team any minute now...

Most cars are NOT tested for Xwinds in a windtunnel - just head on.

Read the Highway code about giving extra consideration to X winds when on the motorway and passing large HGVs. On 29 Feb the A1M was closed due to over turned Lorries. Spray plumes were over 100 feet in the air and often horizontal rain. The littlest A2 (1.2 TDI) on 145 section tyres coped admirably - it is just a case of being careful and anticipating likely impact when passing other vehicles, buildings etc that affect local airflow.

Compared to any car I have owned the A2 is not good in cross-winds. It does get thrown around quite a bit even in moderate cross-winds - I would hate to see what it is like when it is really blowing.

The fact that it is relatively narrow and tall means it is more likely to be affected by winds than a low wide car.

Back