ECONOMY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdiman

Past Member
Is the A2 really as economical as we all think, I am hearing stories of polos doing 70mpg A4 at 50mpg, and now Skodas doing 60mpg. My sister has just bought a Picasso and is getting 65mpg going to Norfolk with a roof box on, all these cars except the A4 whilst not of the same quality are a bloody site cheaper to buy insure and run, they also (polo excepted) have more space than the A2. I realise things like small engined 'city' cars have similar mpg to the TDI but not the oomph, what do the rest of the forum think?

A2 TDI Sport Leather, climate control, Bose cruise control

Our TDI (75) averages 55mpg on the day to day and on long runs we have had 67mpg, far better than the 35-42mpg I was getting in the petrol polo.

We must remember that the enging in the A2 is not as up to date as some of the above which have been refined over the years, if memory surves... the 1.4 TDI (75) appeared in the polo 2 versions (the one before the lupo look) and hasn't changed much (excluding the 90bhp)

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey
50% Brighter Bulbs : Audi 6 CD Changer : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System : Chrome Numberplate Surround : A3 Transmission Nets : Heated Mirrors

65mpg in a Picasso WITH a roofbox!!! You have been told porkies mister. There is no way I think for that to ever happen. When I used to do 50 miles from work to home mainly on the M23 and M25 I stuck to 70mph one night up and down hill and drove as light as possible. Resetting the DIS gave me something like 62mpg average. Next night I did the same at 60mph and got 73mpg average... But 65 in something as big and heavy as a Picasso? And anyones knows that a roof rack ON ITS OWN adds 10% to your fuel bill... add a roof box must be much much more...

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack

iPAQ 4150 with TomTom+CoPilot bluetooth, rear cupholders, luggage net, fire extinguisher and floppy wiper

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

I am with Mike, I do not believe that the A2 is very economical. My recent experience is a Honda Accord which is averaging almost 50 (i.e. high 49.n) measured by brimming tank to tank over 43k, and in the last few days an Octavia (64 on a trip to work) using the DIS. As a comparison the Octavia has been replaced b a Golf TDI 110 on which the DIS read 74.3 after almost the same trip this morning. The trip is part country, part town, part motorway (Rugeley-Lichfield-Four Oaks-Erdington-Castle Bromwich-Solihull) not all stop start but not clear even at 7 in the morning.

My experience of the VAG DIS is that they are optimistic by 3-4mpg but even then 70mpg for a Golf should indicate more for an A2.

As for 65mpg in a Picasso, possible since Norfolk doesn't have too many dual carriageways (does it??) and if the speed is kept to 40-50 the box does not make much difference. And aerodynamically a box could be better than the roof bars on their own.

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

I have a 1.4 petrol, my DIS says 31.4 over quite a long period, last time it was 34 over a similar period. My 2.5 Turbo Volvo computer tells me it does 27.4. All journeys and uses similar, that is to say mainly short trips. Climate control on in both cases. I am told there is nothing wrong with the A2.

Our 90ps Sport TDi does 48.2 according to the average on the DIS, which hardly ever seems to change, no matter how carefully I drive it. Our V6 TT, however, does 28.2 average, again not really any difference on how I drive it, although I have had 30.6 showing for a while after a long motorway trip.

lion.jpg

I do the brim to brim calculation every time I fill (yes, I know it's a bit nerdy!). We mostly get between 50 and 52.5 mpg from our TDI 75 - but I do a lot of 7 mile journeys to and from work, which are either in town or a sprint over the last couple of miles of country lane, so not good economy driving! The best we had was 62mpg, on a tankfull that included a steady motorway journey for 2/3rds of a tank. The worst was 47mpg on a tankfull that had several days of auxilliary heater to keep me warm on the short journey to work (otherwise the temperature guage would hardly move).

Surely, it is impossible to really compare different cars unless you are doing the same sort of journeys in both? Having said that, diesel technology is moving on so quickly at the moment, so perhaps our TDI engines aren't as good as the latest offerings?

I think I've frightened my A2 into being economical, it is for some strange reason displaying 59mpg in my normal Monday to Friday driving, I haven't noticed the traffic being any lighter, my route to work & site is the same and my journey time very similar, long may it continue.
I have never had more than 62mpg even on a 500 mile run from France at around 60mpg trying very hard to drive economically but this was with a roof box & full camping gear (not to mention 36 bottles of cheap wine)

A2 TDI Sport Leather, climate control, Bose cruise control

Perhaps I'm sad?

I don't have DIS on either A2 (wish I had!) I have done brim to brim top-ups since buying (and superchipping) our green A2 two years ago and can honestly say that we have averaged 57.2 overall, 59.3 since the chip and 61.1 over the last two months - when only my wife has driven it!!

Today I have fitted a PSI tuning box to our second A2 bought this week in exchange for our Audi 225 TT [29]
I have also ordered a K&N filter. Will post mpg results once fitted and having used a couple of tanks of diesel.

Chris

A2 1.4TDI SE - 108 BHP - Pine Green Pearlescent|Climate| Front Centre Armrest
A2 1.4TDI SE - 90 BHP - Aluminium Silver|Climate|OpenSky|CD Player|CoPilot|4 x Airbags

My TDI averaged 54.9 over three years with a 'best' of 74.6 and a 'worst' of 43.9. All atnk to tank figures and I have a bit of a heavy foot. It certainly was not ***** footed everywhere.
A real mixture too. Commuting relatively short distances and regular up and down the country stuff too.

The A3 is laging somewhat further behind but its engine remains stubbornly tight. Average of 41 so far but it is used hard on local stuff on 'fun' roads. It will return 50 on a long motorway 80 mph run. I need more miles on it!

Hi guys,
Long time since I last visited the site. Surprised to see economy still a hot topic. My TDI SE (75) never ceases to amaze me. All the trips below were measured by computer which I estimate to be 5 - 10% optimistic. Best ever was a round trip from Burton to Bath - almost all motorway and almost all speed restricted due to roadworks. Average speed 50mph - average consumption 80mpg. Just driven from Burton to Portsmouth, with tailwind, average speed 60mph (which included long stints at around 80mph)- average consumption 70 mpg. Last year on my 50th birthday drove from Lands End to John O'Groats in one day. Bad road/weather conditions stopped me from averaging 60mph and 60mpg. My average speed was 56mph, my average mpg was 64mpg.
Car has now covered 52K miles.
On short day to day trips economy around 57mpg.
Oil used is Castrol Longlife II which adds a couple of mpg.
The car is less economical in cold conditions. BTW Front tyres lasted to 42K, rears still fine at 52K.

John (& Mary) Imber 2003 1.4TDI SE, metallic silver, open sky, black leather /alcantara, Bose, ECC, DIS, Winter pack, mud flaps

PS

Forgot to include a nerve wracking 15 mile drive into Inverness last year. Travelling up A9 on the way to our summer holiday. Rain was lashing down as we came through the Cairngorms. My wife was imploring me to pull off the A9 to fill up, but I'm a man... I know best. I thought I would astonish her with a display of brinkmanship. I knew of a filling station about 15 miles ahead, on the A9 itself. With 20 miles of fuel displaying on the DIS it would be a breeze. Pulled onto forecourt - no pumps and Kiosk boarded up! 15 miles to Inverness and rain absolutely bucketing down. As we pulled off the forecourt the DIS switched to 0 miles of fuel left! Oh ****. Driving with a featherweight right foot we set off for Inverness. I don't know how we made it but we did.We were aided by a long downhill into Inverness. I filled at Inverness and the DIS indicated a full tank would take me 1250 miles! I reckon that car would do 20 miles on the smell of an oily rag! Don't think I'll do that again mind!

John (& Mary) Imber 2003 1.4TDI SE, metallic silver, open sky, black leather /alcantara, Bose, ECC, DIS, Winter pack, mud flaps

quote:The car is less economical in cold conditions. BTW Front tyres lasted to 42K, rears still fine at 52K
We now have two A2 1.4 TDi SE's ??
The first bought 7 months old, two years ago with 7000 on the clock has Michelin tyres. The car has now done 37000 miles. I changed front-to-back several months ago. Those that were on the front (and now on the back) will last about another 10000 miles. The ones moved from the front to the back had hardly worn and I reckon another 25000 miles minimum.

Our second A2 bought this week has 26000 miles on the clock, had Pirelli on the back which were half worn and dunlop on the front, which were three quarters worn (got the dealer to swap front to rear before we picked it up) The car was originally supplied with Pirelli all round - obviously much shorter life than the Michelin. I've done a google search for 185 50 R 15 Michelin and they don't seem to be available any longer [29]

A2 1.4TDI SE - 108 BHP - Pine Green Pearlescent|Climate| Front Centre Armrest
A2 1.4TDI SE - 90 BHP - Aluminium Silver|Climate|OpenSky|CD Player|CoPilot|4 x Airbags

I am getting around 45-50 miles per gallon in my A2 1.4 maybe I am just lucky. Get around 50 on long trips more like 45 round town. Maybe I have a light right foot or something. Only got a small tank so get around 280miles from full to when fuel light comes on it then takes 27litres to fill up again

1.4 PETROL A2 BLACK WITH OPEN SKY AND REAR BENCH SEAT

I think the mpg figures on the A2 tdi are a bit naughty, they say....

Fuel Consumption
EC Combined (mpg) 64.2
EC Extra Urban (mpg) 78.5
EC Urban (mpg) 47.9

Well that is cobblers, I am getting around 45mpg, from mine with 7k miles on it, and we have had a week off work this week and been all round the North Norfolk roads at a steading 50-60mph and it is showing 50.9mpg on the dis.
If I reset the dis while cruising at 50mph I get 58-60mpg, then as soon as I change speed at all this drops.

Now, our '04 A3 TDI S-line with DSG used to return around 47mpg, and out 1.9tdi A4 avant used to return 44mpg too, in fact even the '04 3.0 A4 auto cab was giving us 30mpg! So to say I am a little dissapointed with 45mpg is an understatement.

Every Audi I have owned has got bang on inbetween town and combined figures over a few thousand miles, this one is struggling to get town figures, and I just can not get the combined figures at all, even on the DIS which is a little optomistic anyway.

Also does anyone know when the dis stops calculating the mpg? I can't remeber if it is after 999 miles or 99hours of driving, but after one of them you have to reset it again.

'54 1.4TDi Sport (90ps)
a2small.jpg

I used to get about 45 mopg on the stop start crawl to work over 7 miles, motorway runs were in to the 50s. The A3 is still being run in, but averages just under 40 on the same route, on a trip to North Wales over the weekend it did 52 mpg over 320 miles. On my route to work one lane of the three is currently closed - the left hand lane is left turn only at a roundabout so in effect only one lane is available to go ahead. The first week I stuck with it and stayed in the queue and managed just 28 mpg in the A3 (the only trips I did that week were to work and back), last week I found an alternative route and kept moving and managed 40 mpg!

Just to add a little diesel to the fire...

Yesterday from Rugeley to Erdington the scenic route (mix of town and country) 74.3mpg, Erdington to Stafford at 80 on the M6 - 50mpg, in the pool car (Golf 1.9 TDI110 with 77k on th e clock). I understand why the A2 will not achieve the second figure but it should achieve the first!

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

The Petrol A2 is not likely to beat a Diesel Golf - All petrols are at least 30% less mpg to a comparable horsepower diesel engine - it's just thermodynamics!

As for the boasts about Piccasos and roof boxes........

Come on people use the road test figures or at least the EU rolling road ones as a better guide to performance.

Even Clarkson was amazed by the new BMW 535 diesel - 12 MPG on the race track as opposed to around 4mpg for an Impreza Turbo and not much slower!

For real A2 economy check out the website: http://homepage.mac.com/ekranoplan/Menu4.html and click on the 100MPG picture

Cheers

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/audi_a2_tdi.php

I am getting around 48-50 miles per gallon in my A2 brim to brim 1.4 se petrol. I get around 55-57 on long trips. I get around 290+ miles from full to when fuel light comes on it then takes about 27 litres to fill up again
WOULD SAY TO ANY ONE GET YOUR CAR CHIPPED IT DOES HELP
1.4 PETROL A2 SLIVER ENGINE CHIPPED WITH K&N AIR FILTER JAMEX BACK BOX /10MM LOWER ON 17 RIMS 105 BHP

andy I am getting roughly the same mpg as you get around 280-290 miles from full to when light comes on. I did get 300 miles once but that was when I didnt do much town driving mostly motorway at around 55mph. If you want good fuel figures then dont go so heavy with the right foot you will get from a to b slower but costs you less in the long run. I havent had my car chipped.

1.4 PETROL A2 BLACK WITH OPEN SKY AND REAR BENCH SEAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back