EGR or Engine ECU fault

Captain059

A2OC Donor
Hi guys and girls
As you may know I have been restoring to good health my FSI.
I am stuck in France for the foreseeable future and it is in UK with my mechanic to get a full service and few bits replaced.
I also have a new fault, the EML is on and it is down to the EGR. The mechanic check the EGR, and he found that there is no voltage coming from the Engine ECU. He also checked at the ECU connector and found no voltage.
Is my ECU faulty? He advised me to send it to be checked at a cost of £65+vat+P&P if it is not faulty and £275 +vat +P&P to be repaired if it is faulty.
Do you think it could be something else? Is it a fair price?
Thanks for your help.
H

As Andrew says, it would probably be cheaper to buy a used one:

or

Scanning with VCDS will prove whether the ECU has failed or not; if failed it will not show up on a scan.

Failure of ECUs is unusual but my wife's Lupo ECU recently failed, so I bought a replacement S/H one from Latvia. You will need VCDS to adapt the replacement but no PIN is required.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Is my ECU faulty? He advised me to send it to be checked at a cost of £65+vat+P&P if it is not faulty and £275 +vat +P&P to be repaired if it is faulty.
Do you think it could be something else? Is it a fair price?

If you're replacing the ECU on an FSI, you should definitely be thinking about getting one of the Pro Boost remaps:

Apologies for the bump, but I've always been suspicious of ebay offers from Latvia. How did it go?
Mac.
Fine and only £25. Latvia etc probably because that's where lots of S/H German cars end up.

RAB

Apologies for the bump, but I've always been suspicious of ebay offers from Latvia. How did it go?
Mac.
I've used eBay Latvia sellers and my experience has been good, quality used parts and arrives in two days tracked, usually markedly cheaper than UK sellers.

Andy

I’m sure the fella who does the Webasto ECU replacement boards via eBay is in Latvia as well. They seem like solid kit. A friend tested one and no problems (although it fires on pin1 not CAN so not so helpful for our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys and girls
My mechanic has only a small handheld reader. I offered to lend my laptop and cable but they refused citing "company policy".
Anyway, I did the VCDS test and it reported a EGR valve faulty. I am stuck in France so can't tell you exactly what code it was.
I just went to eBay and there are a lot of different references and prices. I'll ask my mechanic to let me know which one my car needs.

If you're replacing the ECU on an FSI, you should definitely be thinking about getting one of the Pro Boost remaps:

Have you tried it? How good is it? What numbers are you doing?
Thanks Steve
Thanks All

EDIT: If I replace the ECU, do I need to program it to match the cluster immobilizer? Thanks

Have you tried it? How good is it? What numbers are you doing?
Thanks Steve

I haven't (I have a 1.4 petrol myself). However I've seen more than enough FSI discussions in this forum to say that
the Pro Boost remap sounds like it fixes all the major issues. Can only suggest you go and join in the thread I linked to, and ask any questions there.

The immobiliser on my 2001 A2 is Gen 2, as is my wife's Lupo. In that case the PIN is not required. If it is required, the PIN is on the tag originally provided with the keys. If you don't have it, it can be extracted with VAG Commander but I don't believe that you will need it.

RAB

Hello
Sorry for the late answer.
Thanks RAB.
My mechanic sent the ECU to get fixed but it was returned "unserviceable".
I am looking at a 2nd hand ECU type: 036906013F .
I guess it won't work until I reprogram the immobiliser !? I found one at £60 inc P&P. I just want to make sure I am not buying something that won't work.
Thanks for all the input and keep safe!

Hello RAB.
Growler is from end of 2002, 52 reg. To be honest, I haven't checked the exact date and I can't right now. The car is at the garage in UK and I'm stuck in France.
I'll read up on the Ross-Tech.
Thanks.

EDIT: just received a message from a seller that he doesn't have the pin and the ECU hasn't been reset. So, is his ECU basically useless?
Thanks for the infos.

Last edited:
Are you not going to consider the ProBoost remap? If you're keeping the car a while it seems a no-brainer to me.

Hello RAB.
Growler is from end of 2002, 52 reg. To be honest, I haven't checked the exact date and I can't right now. The car is at the garage in UK and I'm stuck in France.
I'll read up on the Ross-Tech.
Thanks.

EDIT: just received a message from a seller that he hasn't the pin and the ECU hasn't been reset. So, is his ECU basically useless?
Thanks for the infos.
Your car will be Gen3, so PIN/SKU for the replacement will be required. Not to say that your replacement is useless but you would have to extract the SKU from it. Something like Vag Commander will be required but it doesn't always work. I have the SKU from one of our cars but cannot extract it with VC!

RAB

Back