EGR Pipe?

Churchy

A2OC Donor
Hi all,

1.6 FSI Sport

Had to have 2 more coil packs replaced yesterday :(!

Any way aside of that we are getting a loud rattle on start up that disappears after a minute or so it seems once the engine is warmish.

Have been advised that there is a small hole in the EGR pipe and qutoed £155 for the fix.

If anyone has had any experience of this or could offer some advice I would be very appreciative!

cheers
Churchy

Hi all,

Any way aside of that we are getting a loud rattle on start up that disappears after a minute or so it seems once the engine is warmish.

Hi Churchy

Unless you are convinced the noise is coming from the exhaust system I'd guess its a problem with one of the hydraulic tappets not 'pumping up' for a second or two until full oil pressure is established.

Cheers Spike

My 1,6FSI also sounds like a bag of bolts on start up but after a second it settles down and is very smooth. I think its normal for this engine. Coil packs, again many threads on this site. If your car is younger than 5 years then its a warranty claim from Audi as they extended the guarantee for coil packs for the 1,6FSI over and above the normal 3 year period.

Thanks all - slighly re-assuring I guess but it would be good to know if it can be cured so off to my local mechanic this morning for a nosy about and will let you all know the outcome.

Fingers x!

I was just reading a Thomas the Tank Engine story to my son the other night and there was the story where they fix a leak in the brake lines with newspaper and bootlaces, so you could try that?!

Hi,

I had a holey EGR pipe problem last year - it was actually spotted by Stealth when I went to last year's rolling road social. It was very noticeable if you took the bonnet off and pressed the throttle from idle. It produced a 'blowing' rasping noise. I was still under warranty - so not sure how much the fix was.

Having said this - as mentioned above, don't confuse this with the FSI's diesel-like slow-running noise.

Ben

All fixed now fingers crossed!

Last coil pack of the 4 done last week - let's hope they last! Also EGR pipe replaced and the noticeably quieter start up is a joy to behold!

Just thought I would let you all know.
Churchy

Back