electrics

How do I improve the earthing on the A2?

My A2 has been brilliant until yesterday when it took me and the AA 3 hours to get it running.

I got in the car, wouldn't start and the dials were bouncing around on the stops with the mileage flashing dim. there is also complete electrical failure everywhere else. I feared it may be the EPU as this was making clicking noises.

The battery is pumping out over 12 volts but the EPU under the passenger floor is only getting 2-8 volts.

The car wouldn't start with jump leads on the battery but would jump start when connected up to the main running to the EPU. so we have solved the situation by running a jump lead from the negative battery terminal and earthing it at the passenger foot well.

Now, having a jump lead running through the car is less than ideal, so I wonder if you guys can help. Is it the earthing that is the problem or something else?

I'll keep you updated.

Take off the drivers and passenger side front kick panels, there is earth connections in both sides, it is a 10mm nut and retighten them and see what happens

SARGE

thanks Sarge, how do you remove the kick panels? Just had a look and there doesn't seem to be any screws. Fingers crossed that this will solve it! once I get the panels off

Last edited:
thanks Sarge, how do you remove the kick panels? Just had a look and there doesn't seem to be any screws. Fingers crossed that this will solve it! once I get the panels off

I can't recall there being any screws for the side kick panels, but will have a look for you as soon as the wife gets back from joy riding in it!

I think they clip in so a little fiddling and they should come off. I also had a diagram showing all the earth points on the car but can't seem to find it at present.

There is 2 earth points in the top rear corners under the headlining as well.

SARGE

EARTHS!!!!!

Deffo those.

10mm Nuts. Two of them. One in each footwell.

You MUST remove the bottom A-Pillar cover for this; it is clipped in from the top by the very, very small trip part that runs between the dash and the side of the car. At the rear it's clipped into the B-Pillar cover. So, take the rear out first, then pull upwards from the rear, with the pivot being approx the front of the door. Pull then towards you and out. No screws, just three clips or so.

DO NOT YANK, DO NOT TRY THIS WHEN IT IS COLD.

You *will* break something if it's below zero.

Be careful when putting it back that the clips are lined up and also that you're not squashing cables.

See also my recent thread on "yellow steering wheel". Also check ALL of the nuts at the rear on the positive terminal, and the fuse there, it can only take 150A and you might have blown it.

Bret

I left it to the experts in the end, an Auto Electrical company in Northampton.

They found the main earth from the battery to the left sill to be the problem and was sparking when the ignition was turned. They think it hadn't been tightened properly at the factory and had eroded the metal around it, causing a loss of connection. Thanks Sarge for the earthing diagram as I think that was a big help to them as they said the wiring was a nightmare going in and out of the bodywork and they were all black.

They did managed to break a couple of minor clips on the trim, which is a little annoying but shouldn't make any difference to the build. Hopefully the problem is now sorted.

I also popped into Northampton Audi to get the radio code and they were brilliant. The car had to be connected up to Germany and took about half an hour. Really friendly (which is a pleasant change from the appalling service you used to get when they were at Riverside) and offered plenty of drinks and internet. All completely free of charge.

So all in all a good day (apart from the hundred notes I handed over to the electrical guys). Now I'm going to have a look at taking the sun blind out of the Opensky.

Thanks All

Your welcome mate, Glad it's all sorted although I have to say I'd have trouble handing over 100 notes for the same job :eek:

Regards
SARGE

Back