Emissions warning light

Mel

My 1.6FSI SE 2004 has just recently come back from its 45,000 mile service, as fresh as a daisy and with two new tyres.
About two weeks later the emissions warning light came on, accompanied by a very noticable loss of power.
Following the advice in the handbook I didn't drive it about too far, and took it back to the garage.

They changed all four cylinders,and it was back to normal again, altho it was revving when standing, moving the dial between 1 to 2, and back down again,without me touching the accelarator at all. But the warning light had disapeared. Hurray!

Until tonight, a week later. Emissions light on again.
No loss of power tho', or anything else that i can detect, after driving it back home for about 30 miles on the motorway. But still revving when standing, when it gets warmed up.

Am I ok to do a 70mile round trip on t'motorway tomorrow, or should I get the train and take the A2 back to the garage asap? The handbook gives no real indication of the seriousness of the warning light, so what's a girl to do?

Has anyone else had anything similar?

Are you saying that the car is effectively revving itself from tickover to 2000rpm?

If so, do not drive it at all - inform the garage and take the train. It sounds like something in the engine ECU has been disturbed, or some diagnostic state has not been exited properly.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Skipton, thanks for the quick reply.

I don't know if the revs are 2000rpms, on the dial the needle is going from the first point, no.1, to the next point, 2. Not too far up the clock.

The simplistic explanation is for my benefit, not yours, as you can probably gather that I'm none too technical!

Back