Engine cutting out???

mytA2

A2OC Donor
Hi all and what agreat site.
I hope you are able to help me. I seem to have a bit of an intermitant engine fault on my 1.4 petrol with 50,000 on the clock. Some times the engine cuts out for a split second and then its right as rain and continues running. No faults appear on the dash but surely there must be some error/fault somewhere. It has been to a local VW/Audi garage but nothing was found. The fault/missfire seems to happen around 10-20mins after the REV's go above 5000rpm. This leads me to think there is a fueling problem rather than electrical. It did have a full service at Awesome some 6months ago. I must admitt I missed the opportunity to get them to look into this problem. I have lived with this problem for a year now with no adverse effect but would like to stop it from happening altogether. HELLLP Any ideas???
Many Thanks Malcolm(mytA2)

Possible coil issues or an electrical fault is most likely in my book - a fuelling issue would likely lead to a longer cut-out than a split second.

As with all these things, a scan would be the best way forward and if you can get to the social on s
Sunday, I'll be happy to help.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,
Thats very generous, thank you. I'll make a donation to club funds. Just hope theres a fault code to find.

Cheers, mytA2

Hi all,

Have spent the last month reading these forums I now know a lot more about my lovely A2!

I bought a 1.4 petrol 4 weeks ago with 50,000miles and have been reading the forum getting to know all about the A2 and came across this post.

I have recently experienced was sounds like an identical fault - where it momentarily cuts out for about second then is fine. It did it once a few days ago and twice today during 30 minutes of driving. And yes, it seems to only happen after going past 5,000rpm - how strange.

Has anyone else had such a problem and has anyone found out what the problem was as I'd love to know?

On purchase I was aware it also needed a new indicator relay and thanks to these forums will now be fitting this next weekend.

Cheers,
Ian

Yes! Finally found this problem is happening to others and not just me! So - has anyone discovered a reason for the cutting-out? It was quite scary the first couple of times - I was on the motorway all by myself and surrounded by heavy traffic! But the garage has never been able to find out why it's hapenning. These days I just drive slower.......!!!

My hunch says it's a coilpack, but best to get a VAGCOM scan first to see if any error codes have been logged.

it's a sensor. I'll have to check the part name in English, but it's called "drehzahlgeber".

The engine goes off, and you don't have to turn the key to turn it back on again. No error messages, normally the 1.4 petrol affected.

Bret

Thanks Bret. Just found the name now in one of your old posts (!) - the part is called a "rev-sensor" so will mention it when I next get my car serviced.:)

Hi jools88
Sounds like the correct name should be the engine speed sensor. I think its the only sensor which causes the engine to stop if it fails. All the others have a default mode which allows the engine to keep running, usually at reduced power.

Cheers Spike

Ah, that's great news - I wonder if finally this might be the cause. This continues to be a problem even though I avoid going to 5000 rpm - it seems if you go over 4000 although that may be a red herring. If I'm on a long run it'll normally do it once. The drive to work is across town - 20 to 25 mins and it never does it, just on longer motorway/A road runs.

Can anyone give me an idea of the ballpark cost for replacing this engine speed sensor???

Cheers all,

Ian

Back