Engine fault codes p1020 and p1031

john352

Hi folks,

After driving around 80 miles on Monday, my 03 plate 1.6 fsi started juddering on acceleration, or if an incline got steeper.

I took it into a local repair shop and they found a whole host of fault codes.

The codes found were :-
P1031
P0327
P0420
P0300
P0300
P0300
P1020

After clearing the codes they took the car for a test drive and the following codes returned -
P1031
P0300
P0300
P0300
P1020

The coil on cylinder 1 had now been moved to cylinder 3 which seems to have cured the misfire codes.

Now left with codes P1020 and P1031.

Has anybody got any experience of getting the issues behind these codes sorted please? (Answers suitable for a non petrol head preferred otherwise I'll have to find a translator )

Hope to hear from somebody soon.

Cheers for now,

John

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hello John,

"A2 Steve" will be along shortly with a welcome pack and I,m sure our FSi guru,s will be able to help you soon.

Cheers
Dave :)

Cheers for that Dave, fingers crossed can get fixed without costing too many arms or legs -otherwise may be in the market for a replacement.....

John

Hi

Welcome to the A2 owners club.

By now you should you should have received a pm (private message) containing lots of useful information about the club.*

You can access this by clicking on the word 'Notifications' at the very top of this page.**

It looks like this if you are viewing in the desktop site

db4eo.jpg

Or by clicking on the envelope symbol if you are using tapatalk

5o8bhu.jpg

I hope you find it a friendly place to be with lots of useful information.*

Best wishes

Steve

(A2Steve) Member relations*

Update, car picked up from garage this morning - now misfires on start up from cold. Booked in to Peterborough Audi on Tuesday

Wakefield Audi do a reduced hourly labour rate for "older" cars John... it can,t do any harm to ask at Peterborough if repairs are needed.

OK..... So Peterborough Audi are saying first step is to replace all plugs and coils at around 350 quid..... Of course, no guarantee this will fix misfire issue completely.
They are saying that the manifold flaps are eventually going to need replacing at a cost of around a grand.

Starting to sound very much like it's time for a new car, start do you guys think?

John

It all depends how much you like your car and your budget. I would consider a visit to either "WOM Automotive" or "A2cars" for a second opinion. Both are very knowledgeable when it comes to these engine problems and will probably be cheaper than a dealer.

Cheers for that - do you have contact details please? Tried Googling A2 Cars, but came up quite a few options

Certainly John,

WOM are based in Stoke on Trent..... 01538 807708.
A2 cars are in Milton Keynes.... 01908 824400

I do believe there are ways of freeing those pesky flaps without having to replace them.

Cheers
Dave:)

Had the same issue a few years back with my FSI 03 plate
I bought a mid priced fault code reader from eBay which has been a godsent well worth the money & saved me a small fortune in garage bills, just Google the fault DTC's & loadsof owners will help with great advice.
It cleared most of the intermittent faults and the Orange engine of death light was extinguished on many occasions ;-)
My fault code reader said "air intake manifold tuning valve" was the error, there are 2 parts to the sensor a diagram & a Potentiometer which will give the same error code.
To complicate the issue one of my injectors was playing up, they are £138 each plus Labour ;-(
Audi charge £100 plus vat per hour (£120 total) and told me that it would take 3 hours to change the injector, took it to my mate who's labour is less than half he checked out all the injectors & fitted a new AITV at the same time as one new injector as it's within a hand span of no1 injector
I bought 4 new Bosch mini coils from a local factor for £90 & swapped them keeping the old ones in the boot with my tool roll, if I get the odd misfire on the code reader I simply swap the offending mini coil with one of the old ones and rotate them as and when.
It's a pinnikity engine with typical Audi fault code errors that are well reported by their users, another odd one was my A2 wouldn't start easily turned out it was a temperature sensor telling the ECU that the engine was already up to Temperature therefore running the petrol mixture lean instead of rich as it should be when cold.
Easily sorted but another chuffing sensor issue ;/(
Hope this helps anyone with similar problems

Cheers for that, is there anything in particular to look for in the code readers?

OK, so the flap actuator had failed. While that was sorted pulled the injectors and had them serviced, replaced a water pipe, and had to get a bit of welding done on the egr side of things.

Car then tested by A2 and was OK, so headed down to pick the car up while towbar was fitted.

Went to fuel up and misfire was still present. After much head scratching and checking of sensors etc, this was diagnosed to a faulty fuel pump.

Total cost came in a bit under original estimate so quite happy.

Great service and attitude from all at A2 -thanks guys

just to add to this thread in case you have p1020 error code. my fsi had this code when i bought it and the engine was cutting out once it got warm. the garage that last serviced it put the fuel filter on the wrong way round and one of the fuel line connectors to the filter is broken. to try and get the engine going i replaced high pressure fuel pump as i had a spare in the garage. that solved the cutting out but not the error code. then i changed the in tank fuel pump and did a bit of fiddling with the broken fuel line connector at the same time. the p1020 error is gone. I guess the new hp fuel pump was stronger than the old pump and was overcoming the problem enough to keep the engine running but wasn't the root cause of the problem. The in tank fuel pump is pretty easy to change, one useful thing if you do it - the in tanks pumps are higher than the depth of the tank but are spring loaded and can be squashed down to refit, i wondered what was going on before a youtube video helped me out....check the simple stuff first if you have this error - fuel filter and fuel line connectors...good luck

Back