Engine light and small puddle

A2ALI

Only two weeks into ownership and got a problem! The engine management system light came on fri morning, and I've also noticed a puddle of slightly greasy clear liquid on the floor, could these be connected, is the puddle condensation or something more sinister. It doesn't feel any different to drive due to the light coming on, taking it back to dealership where i bought it on monday as have 3 month warranty. Would be nice to have some help with possible problems, so they don't simply switch the light off and say all fixed!

I would suspect the puddle is from the aircon or climate control which is perfectly normal.It may need a vagcom scan for the light problem.

Thanks, would i be able to see these results (ie print-out) I'm not very trustworthy, especially from motor trade…

Hi A2Ali,

You may be suffering from the dreaded coil pack failure. 1,6 pertols don't have spark plugs they have new fangled coil packs instead. Unfortunately earlier engines fitted with these suffer especially in colder weather. The good news is that a newer version should be fitted. If your a2 is less than 5 years old the news gets better - Audi extended the warranty for these parts over and beyond the standard 3 year warranty. If your A2 is over 5 years the news is that these parts have tumbled in price to just over £12 each plus fitting. The new versions are fine and reliable. I know eventually I got 4! Two years trouble free since.

You need to visit a local dealer or independant to get a diagnostic check carried out.

Hold on… I've done 13 miles from picking from repair and the light is back on…

Great!

Experience from other VW/Audi engines suggests that a MAF sensor or lambda probe are likely culprits for the light coming on. A diagnostic scan should tell.

Cheers

JH

Hold on… I've done 13 miles from picking from repair and the light is back on…

Great!

Well it's not fixed then and you should take it back as soon as is practical, also, phoning them first to let them know.

My suspicions lie with the oxygen sensor, as these are known to fail, normally just outside the warranty period.

Unfortunately, this isn't a cheap item at £122, but you should be able to get a discount and free fitting (which isn't a major task anyway) because of your inconvenience.

Cheers,

Mike

Is that the same as the lambda probe?

JH

Yes, it is. I prefer to call it by what it measures rather than a letter from the Greek alphabet.

On all 1.4 petrol cars, there are 2 sensors, 1 pre- and 1 post-catalytic converter. It is usually the pre-cat (hot) sensor that fails.

Cheers,

Mike

Back