Engine Service Light Flashing

Hollzy

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice. Driving home last night, my engine service light started flashing and the engine started to judder. Waiting at the traffic lights, the juddering would get progressively worse, but the light would extinguish.

Today after reading some of the other posts, i've been looking at my coils. In theory, If i remove the misbehaving coil, the engine should behave the same. If i remove a properly functioning coil from a cylinder, the engine should in effect, have 2 cylinders misfiring and probably cut off. But no matter which coil I remove, the engine behaves the same.

Could there be something else that not functioning as it should? Perhaps a timing belt? A computer or sensor? The car has been wanting to be serviced for some time also but I just haven't had the time, could this be a contributing factor?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Holly

Hi,

my engine management light came on a few days ago aswell, its not as bad sounding as yours, i have the occational misfire and flat spots and its due to go into audi on friday for them to look at as at least its still under warranty as i have only had it five months and already the temp sender has gone too.

good old audi i have to wait two weeks for them to have a look at it and then i will have to book it back in to have any work done, but thats ok as its not like i have anything better to do than to keep driving a forty mile round trip to the other side of the city.

had a feeling i would regret going back "skoda" sorry audi after having a dog of an A4 previously and should have stuck with my E-class.

Don.

Well I rang Wetstone this morning to see when they coul see me and they couldn't fit me in till Wednesday .. that's without actually know what the actual problem is and so probably won't have the parts at hand.

So I thought, well, why not pop into Finchley Road. So I did, they did a quick diagnostic test and confirmed that in fact, there are 2 coils that are playing up. So it's booked in for Tuesday to be sorted free of charge.

It seems that just by turning up they seem more likely to get the balls rolling since you're already there. They even cleaned my car for free without my asking. Good job too, I don't think i've ever given it a proper clean haha.

Holly

Engine Management Unit Light

Hi folks,

Just been reading your problems with the EMU light, and mine has just started coming on. Initially was just intermittant more so after filling with shell petrol from empty, then would disappear, now its on permanently the car itself runs fine no juddering or performance issues to report. There was only one incident few months back when the light first came on, I switched on the ignition put the car in gear ready to set off pressed down on the accelerator and nothing happened no power at all! Switched engine off then back on again and was fine! Very strange I've always used shell unleaded so not sure fuel the problem as car
does run fine other than x1 episode above. Booking in a independent audi dealer for a diagnostic and see what shows up. Keep you posted.:confused:

Swede.

That sounds a little strange. I think a steady light means that it's expecting something to go wrong but until then, you're okay to drive it. Flashing means that it desperately wants looking at. But yeah, a diagnostics check is the best route to go down.

A little update with regards to mine. Audi phoned me today to tell me that the new coils won't be covered under the 5 year warranty and that i'll have to pay for it, even though my car is under 5 years :confused: Also the new coils probably won't arrive for over a week, so until then I still can't drive my car as it is a little unhealthy at the moment.

Has anyone tried fitting cheaper vw coils? I might try this as a cheaper option as they're also easier to get hold of. Just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it before.

Cheers,

Holly

Back