Error code 16989 - P0605

Hudson

Right car gave the following

16989 internal control module ROM error P0605

Local garage are not sure what the cause could be so rather than guess they told me to go to go to a local dealer, however, they deleted the code to see if came back (which it didn't) and the Audi dealer said without it there is no garauntee they would find anything so wait until it comes back. It's only done it when starting on very cold mornings (i.e, twice in the last 3 months) and otherewise runs fine. Should I be worried about an impending large bill?

I have looked up the code and all the info seem vague at best some suggesting the control unit needs repacing others that is may have nothing to do with the control module but is being picked up from somehting else.

Any suggestions/advice?:confused:

Hi Hudon,

I'm afraid I can't find a definitive answer for you, but will get this thread going nevertheless...

From the RossTech wiki...

16989/P0605/001541 - Internal Control Module: ROM Error

- Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON

- Possible Causes
Control Module faulty
Internal Fault in Control Module/Processor

- Possible Solutions
Check/Replace Control Module

- Special Notes
Fault Codes like this can usually not be repaired since they are stored after the Control Module did not pass it's internal Self Test. Even though the official Repair Manuals suggest replacing the Control Module in such a case, there may be specialized Companies repairing Modules like this.

-----

Also see http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?5745-Fault-amp-vagcom-help

From what I can find, it would appear as though the control module is faulty and needs replacement. However, are you actually experiencing any problems with the car?

Cheers,

Tom

I looked up the code on Ross tech which as shown did not give much info, you obviously found the same.

It only happens when very cold -5 or less. I called Vince at Stealth as he is in only an hour away and he said as it only happens when very cold it could well be the battery is not man enough. The battery was changed by a garage 4 months ago (previous owner) but the one needed for an A2 is surprisingly powerful

380amp 80amp/hr DIN
SAE 640amp!

For a 1.4 that is a lot of juice! He told me if it does not happen all the time and only when cold chances are the Control module is fine but getting upset when it's power supply drops too low under cranking! I'll have a look at what has been put in and replace it, rather an £80 battery than a £600 control module!

To be honest the car runs like a dream so it can't be anything too serious otherwise the idling would be off or have power issues with a bad control module. He did suggest that somebody may have done a substandard remap but this would probably show up all the time if they had. Either way if it happens again it will be going up on his ramps.

You could try monitoring the voltage (a multimeter will do it, or some OBDII scanners can also find it) to see how far it drops when you are cranking on a cold day.

If the battery appears to be the right one i'll stick a mutimeter on it and see what the vols and amps are doing. To be honest i know it's new battery and if it's not up to grade i may just stick it im my pug which only need a tickle to start but the battteries 6yrs old and sounding a bit weak in the cold.
Cheers

Well with my simple volt & amp meter the battery was fine but is rated at 660SAE with 72amp/hr. Having spoken to vince i understand the minimum to go in should be 640SAE 80amp/hr which could explain why it's happy in the warm when the battery is opperarting at it's max power but when very cold is not gvivng out enough amps to heat the glow plugs, turn the engine and keep the ECU happy hence the fault code. I'll get a new one and put it in. My pug battery is 480SAE 40amp/hr! seems quite twee by comparrison ;)

Well new battery on. No error code although it's not been as cold. The car still needs a bit of an extra crank on cold mornings but never fails to start, as pointed out a 3 cylinder TDI with over 100k on the clock is unlikly to smooth start unless it's been very weel looked after (which i suspect the previous owners did not do).

Back