Exhaust wafting into Cabin (1.4 tdi 75)

hoverdog

United-Kingdom
On a cold start, I'm getting exhaust fumes into the cabin. Don't get me wrong we're not talking clouds of black smoke here, just a strong smell of burnt diesel. The smell disappears after a few miles and/or if I switch the heater fan on. I've also started to notice that the engine is consuming oil at a rate of about 1000 miles per litre. There is no discernible black/grey/blue exhaust coloration at the tailpipe. Any idea guys?

An old blocked engine air filter can cause oil consumption, I'd try that first. Otherwise could be valve stem oil seals on a high miler.

only advice would be lift bonnet up and check egr/exhaust area for any visible smoke escape indication
Will do, last time I looked around the EGR it was very oily and I suspect that may be part of the oil consumption issue. I'll have another look around that area with the engine running. Cheers.

When the weather is cold? Are you sure its not the webasto heater kicking in?

Other than than, a failing exhaust flexi can cause diesel fumes to get sucked into the cabin.

When the weather is cold? Are you sure its not the webasto heater kicking in?

Other than than, a failing exhaust flexi can cause diesel fumes to get sucked into the cabin.
Nice to hear from you again! Mine doesn't have the Webasto Steve. So I'll put the flexi in with the rest of the check list

Flexi leak, Webasto start up fumes or oil leak from the EGR or rocker cover gasket that settles onto the exhaust manifold and burns off after engine start.

Check for oil down the rear of the engine and also below the tandem pump.

On a cold start, I'm getting exhaust fumes into the cabin. Don't get me wrong we're not talking clouds of black smoke here, just a strong smell of burnt diesel. The smell disappears after a few miles and/or if I switch the heater fan on. I've also started to notice that the engine is consuming oil at a rate of about 1000 miles per litre. There is no discernible black/grey/blue exhaust coloration at the tailpipe. Any idea guys?

I still have the smell unless I turn on the fan.
My car had a rear-end before I bought it and as a result there is a gap between the door and the slightly bent body. This is where the fumes come in.
When I turn on the heater/fan, it kinda pushes air into the cabin and prevents fumes to be sucked in because at the same time it pushes the air from the cabin through that hole instead. But yes, it is a frustrating thingy. Logically, if your exhaust were faulty on the front, the fumes would be sucked into the car by the heater itself but if the smell disappears after turning on the heater, I'd advise to at least breafly check your trunk sealing rubber just in case.

BTW, what would be the consequences of a failing EGR?
My EGR was oily, it was clogged and messed. Now it is out of both the car and the software. When it reached its peak of malfunctioning, the car lost a lot of torque and fuel consumption skyrocketed.
4.4l/100km vs 5.2l/100km.
If I remember correctly, your gallon is 4.5 liters so it will be something similar to 64 vs 52.

Back