[Export from UK] - Regulations, Etc.

Evripidis

Hi all,

I would like to ask what the implications would be for an individual selling me something from the UK and shipping it to the EU.

Would that person have to notify someone, e.g., customs of doing so or the taxman?

I am trying to find information online but, nothing definitive as most posts relate to businesses and not individuals.

Regards,
Evros

Hi Evros

I have sent items outside of the UK and just use the normal courier network. They often ask what the goods are and their value and then it works out the appropriate tax code for the goods. You can then chose to pay the tax in advance added to the cost of the postage or you can leave it for the buyer to pay the other side.

There's a lot more paperwork to include in the package but it's not too bad.

The main difficulty I find is peoples expectations of how long it's going to take and the fact that once it's out of the UK I have very little control over what happens to it.

The seller has to complete a customs declaration.
As well as the weight and description, a "Commodity Code" is required. It's a painful process to get one, but I've just done it for a used engine, and it took less than five minutes, just typically beauacratic.
It's here: https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/find_commodity
As Steve says, the carrier may do it for you, but maybe at a cost.

Is it looking promising?
Mac.

Thank you for replying all.

It will probably cost around 430 euros to import an engine from the UK, plus the cost of the engine.

This is 570 euros cheaper than getting gone from Greece.

You could say it is promising!

I have imported a car from the UK to France post Brexit - here you pay 20% VAT and then another 10% import duty !! If you buy within the EU its very different

Yes this is pretty much how it works out over here.

The Cypriot customs office might even challenge the invoice/receipt and pick a price themselves, highly dependent on which side they woke up on that morning!

Have you tried sourcing an engine from Germany or even maybe Italy instead?

Which engine are you looking for?

Cheers,

Stuart

Whatever I could find from Germany was overly too expensive. I would not know where to start form any other country. Language being some sort of barrier.

I am after a 1.6 fsi.

I have also posted on the German a2 forum without any response. Facebook I gave up.

Back