Extended rear centre console...

Darren C

A2OC Donor
I have been meaning to post a thanks to Shezlee for his excellent fitting guides.

A couple of weeks ago I installed the extended rear centre console, (with cup holders), carefully following the fitting guide as generated by Shezlee. The comprehensive instructions ensured that the fitment went smoothly; with the exception that is, of one of the torx screw heads rounding off. :mad:

This is the second fitting guide of Shezlee's that I have followed to a sucessful conclusion - cheers buddy!!

Darren

Ahhh you beat me to it!

I've also downloaded Shezlee's guide, and fingers crossed, my extended console will arrive from VAG Parts this coming week... :)

Ian,

A word of caution; ensure that your torx bit is seated 100% correctly in the torx bolt of the front seat mount, apply firm pressure and turn 'very' slowly when unscrewing them.

I ended up using a hacksaw and even tried to drill it out; a 15-20 minute job ended up taking well over an hour. :(

As they say, patience is a virtue!!

Good luck with the install.

Cheers,

Darren

P.S. It looks the business in situ!! :D

No picture I'm afraid!!

It is my daughters Christening tomorrow so the camera will be out; see what a spare 5 minutes can muster!!;)

Darren C said:
The comprehensive instructions ensured that the fitment went smoothly; with the exception that is, of one of the torx screw heads rounding off. :mad:

Are you sure it was a torx screw? When I was installing the rear console - my screws were of the 12 point spline variety (note that a torx bit will fit in a spline screw - but is liable to shearing). Fortunately I had a spline bit of the correct size in the toolbox - so it was came off easily.

B

Fitting Guide

Thank you... and you are all welcome...

as for the torx bit or not... it was some time ago when I wrote the guide and in one of the many (I think) I stated you need to use the stright torx bits and not the tapered ones...

Anyhow you all got there and I am sure you will use the new additions as much as I do..

Regards

driveforward said:
Have you got a pic?

Ian,

Shezlee's fitting guide offers the best pictures; though I did manage to take a few snaps yesterday as promised - see below!!

P.S. Christening went really well and Kayleigh looked gorgeous!!

P.P.S. See below!! :eek:

ben said:
Are you sure it was a torx screw? When I was installing the rear console - my screws were of the 12 point spline variety (note that a torx bit will fit in a spline screw - but is liable to shearing). Fortunately I had a spline bit of the correct size in the toolbox - so it was came off easily.

B

Ben,

I am sure that you are correct and it is a 12 point spline version as you suggest, hence my dilemma. I used a torx bit assuming that it was a standard torx bolt and suffered the rounding off issue!! A lesson learned for me and hopefully this posting and your identified root cause, (and my incompetent DIY skills ;)), may prevent another owner from suffering the same.

Cheers,

Darren

driveforward said:
That does look great Darren, many thanks! I'd better get in touch with VAG Parts and find out where mine is!

Hi Ian,

Any joy yet??

Darren

P.S. Good luck with the "project" for this coming weekend. ;)

Darren C said:
Hi Ian,

Any joy yet??

Darren

P.S. Good luck with the "project" for this coming weekend. ;)
Yup, ready for fitting today - arrived on Monday :p

The 'project' is on hold this weekend, I need to source a few bits and bobs today and then book the spray gun for next weekend. This minor pause comes ahead of a mad flurry of progress that I have planned to follow next weekend!

Bloody torx bits

Firstly I would like to add my thanks for the fitting guide for the rear cup holder console. I bought the said part from VAGparts, arrived in quick time, and I set about 'doing the job' knowing I had the torx bits from many previous jobs on VW/Audis.

Seats out, carpet up, started to take the torx head bolts out and no movement, although my ratchet was turning.

Low and behold, my torx bits (which were T40 and T30) had a different spline to the bolts and I had rounded the bolt off!! AAArgh

I could not get a pair of mole grips in and ended up using the trusty hammer and flat ended screwdriver to 'carefully' shock and spin the heads of the bolts.

Luckly and amazingly no damage or scrapes to anything other than the bolts and it worked, so after about 2 hours of effing and blinding job done!

Moral - guide is excellent, but really check the torx tools you are using before blindly assuming your torx heads fit like muppet here did.

Ta again shezlee for the guide, appreciate the effort

Glen

driveforward said:
Yup, ready for fitting today - arrived on Monday :p

The 'project' is on hold this weekend, I need to source a few bits and bobs today and then book the spray gun for next weekend. This minor pause comes ahead of a mad flurry of progress that I have planned to follow next weekend!

Ian,

I guess the install will already be completed by now, but if not good luck.

martings said:
Firstly I would like to add my thanks for the fitting guide for the rear cup holder console. I bought the said part from VAGparts, arrived in quick time, and I set about 'doing the job' knowing I had the torx bits from many previous jobs on VW/Audis.

Seats out, carpet up, started to take the torx head bolts out and no movement, although my ratchet was turning.

Low and behold, my torx bits (which were T40 and T30) had a different spline to the bolts and I had rounded the bolt off!! AAArgh

I could not get a pair of mole grips in and ended up using the trusty hammer and flat ended screwdriver to 'carefully' shock and spin the heads of the bolts.

Luckly and amazingly no damage or scrapes to anything other than the bolts and it worked, so after about 2 hours of effing and blinding job done!

Moral - guide is excellent, but really check the torx tools you are using before blindly assuming your torx heads fit like muppet here did.

Ta again shezlee for the guide, appreciate the effort

Glen

Glen,

I take no satisfaction to hear of your similar plight, but I do feel a tad less "stupid"!! ;)

Cheers,

Darren

Fitted now :)

A quick glance at the guide before I started to make sure I was going about things the right way then on with the fitting.. Job took about 20 mins (the biggest problem was making the holes in the carpet - I just couldn't get the bolts through!!).

Very pleased, I had all but one of the correct screw bits, however I found a flat-head screwdriver bit that fitted perfectly in the 'rounded torx head' and it was done with no issues :)

Glad I've done it, without it in place it looks as if something is missing given the deep footwells in the rear!

driveforward said:
Fitted now :)

Glad I've done it, without it in place it looks as if something is missing given the deep footwells in the rear!

I agree totally and I also felt the same about the huge gap between the handbrake and the dash board, hence the fitment of the "front stowage unit" as well. ;)

Darren C said:
I agree totally and I also felt the same about the huge gap between the handbrake and the dash board, hence the fitment of the "front stowage unit" as well. ;)
I'm developing a 'plan' for that space :p

Back