FAO Those with tinted windows

I'm after a bit of help given I went to get my A2's windows tinted today but ran into a rather significant issue. The guy had been recommended and tbh was very honest and helpful, but, alas he could not apply the film to my car to a satisfactory standard - one that he was happy with.

The problem was the door-frame shape and more importantly the great difficulty he had getting at the base of the window glass due to the structure of the door itself, the film could not be applied.

I obviously was rather 'deflated' by the whole thing, and he was genuinely irritated that he had to admit defeat.

For those of you who have successfully had your windows tinted, could you impart any info as to how the fitter went about doing the job, and if possible post their contact information?

Thanks,

Ian

Was it not possible to take the glass out of the door? Its much easier to tint it on a table. The rear qaurters dont come out.

As much i'd like to be able to help you, i'm afraid it was a case that simply dropped my car off at the tinting company at half 8 in the morning and went back at lunch. He admitted he'd had a few problems as it was the 1st A2 his company had ever done but he did quite a good job i think, best thing was that i get a lifetime guarantee with it also! :D

Sorry i couldn't of helped,

Mike

Like Mike, I dropped off Tank and picked up later.

The difference with me is that I asked the dealer (Smith Knight Fay, Stockport) who they used for tinting - a lot of the time, factory tinting is actually done by the dealers when the car arrives.

Ian, why not ask your local dealer who they use - chances are that they've done an A2 or two in their time, and even if they haven't, the A8 arrangement isn't that different.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers guys, think this one will have to wait till the summer now as I don't have time for a few months :( :)

Nevertheless, the list of 'things to do' keeps growing for this car 'I have no intention of modifying'... :p

I'd echo what the others have mentioned. My chap did it in an afternoon and didn't report any problems.

And it's a top job, no bubbles or anything looking out of the ordinary.

He's just done my Merc too, but that has a couple of bubbles he'll have to sort out. :rolleyes:

Any chance any of you guys could PM me the contact details of your tinters, as by the sounds of it I'll have to write mine off :(

I suspect my chap removed the "scraper" moulding at the base of the drop glass to gain access lower down.

He's a bit of a distance from you but his name is Gavin at AMD Auto Services in Hungerford.

Hope you're sorted whichever way you try.

Same as Toby, I used a guy called Steve at autotint which are part of the durable group, and he was based in Altrincham, Cheshire, with a WA14 post code.

Mike

Back