First Audi, not a clue!

A2Andrew

Hi people,

I'm Andrew, and I live in Porstmouth. I picked up a black 2001 A2 SE 1.4 today, I needed a daily run around and after short listing a handful of Fiestas, Clios and various Korean things I went for the Audi. It's my first German car (Jap background) and I chose it as it seems to be of much better quality and far less boring than the others I was looking at, and the engineering behind it appealed too.
First impressions are it's comfortable, spacious and nice to drive, the suspension is a bit crashy/firm but I'll get used to that, maybe it's just old tired suspension.
It's a bit rough around the edges and slightly grottier than I usually put up with but that can be sorted in time, overall though it's a solid car and all seems well with the mechanicals and functionality.
Chances are I'll be doing more lurking and reading up to start with but no doubt I'll be asking questions in due course, especially being a VAG rookie!

Cheers,

Andrew

31475621_2097185717232168_8210113290936778752_o.jpg

Thankyou! I’ll put some photos up soon, it needs a bit of tlc first.

There’s a couple of bits of interior trim missing that I’d like to replace if anyone knows where I can get them In the right colour - the fuse box flap / cover under the steering column is one and at the rear of the centre console there’s a space where it looks like a small cover or ash tray should be?

Thankyou! I’ll put some photos up soon, it needs a bit of tlc first.

There’s a couple of bits of interior trim missing that I’d like to replace if anyone knows where I can get them In the right colour - the fuse box flap / cover under the steering column is one and at the rear of the centre console there’s a space where it looks like a small cover or ash tray should be?

I think the fuse cover flap is a common one - the clips break (I’m down to one).

Behind the handbrake there is a little cubby - a rectangle about four inches wide. It just pushes in and pulls out so an easy one to replace as well.

I’m sure if you put a ‘wanted’ ad on here for the bits in twist then someone will maybe be able to assist or they’ll show up eventually. A2steve and Sarge often have a selection of bits and bobs but colour specific might need to go much wider - I’ve got a spare one in Platinum for example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll add my welcome, and reiterate how helpful people on the site are :)
I’m not that far from you, just the other side of Chichester, and still see quite a few A2s running about round here.

I only bought mine at the beginning of the year; it too was a little rough around the edges but I’ve been on a programme of improvement and I’m very happy with it now. New tyres made a significant difference to the ride of mine, and while it’s still quite firm, no more so than many modern cars

Cheers, looks like it is a good bunch on here, refreshing to see.

Mine does need new tyres so hopefully that will make it a bit softer.

Welcome to A2 ownership-nice spec of car with the leather. Loads to read on the pages here and we have a popular social scene and all are welcomed. So please take a look and come along. cheers mike

Thanks, the leather wouldn’t have been my top pick if I had a choice to be honest, I much prefer cloth seats.

Here’s a couple photos of the interior, and one of some leaves in the headlight casing if anyone knows a good way of getting them out of there!!

8EF68932-0B2E-4313-92D5-045F9E42C7EB.jpeg
F12759B0-058F-418C-994F-CCC04A793181.jpeg
18C29434-B856-4FFB-8EC2-BE884B40ED02.jpeg

If your headlight is of the splittable type (you'd see some of the spring clips that hold the two parts together when you take off the bonnet), you could remove the headlight, using a Torx 30 screwdriver on the two screws - one on top, one between the lamp and service flap -and split the unit to remove those leaves. Otherwise, you could remove the bulb holder from the back of the unit and use the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner to try to suck them out.

Looking at the interior I would say it's platinum grey rather than the twist cream.

I think I've got a coin tray in both colours here and the fuse box cover if it's platinum.

You might be right actually Steve, I could have sworn it looked cream-ish but looking at other photos it does look like a lighter grey. The white balance of the photos could be off though which could make it look different. Is there any way of confirming the trim colour on the vin plate or anything?

Here's a couple more photos from the original sale listing and it does look more grey. Might need my eyes testing, again!
31358047_1636526669776044_6890604920223315318_n.jpg
31404026_1636526576442720_4530298226946569316_n.jpg

You might be right actually Steve, I could have sworn it looked cream-ish but looking at other photos it does look like a lighter grey. The white balance of the photos could be off though which could make it look different. Is there any way of confirming the trim colour on the vin plate or anything?

Here's a couple more photos from the original sale listing and it does look more grey. Might need my eyes testing, again!View attachment 39146View attachment 39147

100% that's platinum. I've got a platinum car in breaking at the moment so let me know if you need any trim parts.

Ok great thanks for sorting that out. I've put an ad up for the bits I need in the wanted section, but to save you reading that, they are the fuse box flap/cover below the steering column, and the small cubby tray that clips in at the rear of the centre console behind the handbrake lever. What's your price posted on those two?

Back