Fitted the grooved discs and performance brake pads

Havank

Fitted the new grooved and drilled disks with performance brake pads

So I know there are a few people on this forum who thinks this is not needed, so they can skip this thread

For others who are into this stuff, EAT YOUR HEART OUT

Received the discs last week (this e-bay seller is a bit slow) and also received the new brake pads

Bought from Halfords
-Copper Grease
- Locktite
- Brake cleaning spray

Step one
Take off the wheels, if you are still using the normal jack, then invest a tenner or two and get one or two of those hydraulics jacks, as the car does move when you raise it!!!!!!!!

Step two
Push the calliper piston back, I advise you to do one at a time, because if you push both the calliper pistons back you most likely overflow the brake reservoir!!!! Then take the little plastic caps off the back of the calliper this then reveals the two Allen bolts which you can undo with a number 7 (Not much force is needed to undo these bolt

Step three
If the bolt are undone, keep a little rope ready (I used some left over speaker cable) to tie the calliper to the springs so they are not dangling on the brake hose!!!!)
Tip the calliper backwards (away from the disk – start at the top) and the calliper comes easy away from the disc) then tie it up!!!!

Step four
Take out the old brake pads, a bit of wiggling is needed to get them out of their position

If you are working on the side where the brake pad sensor is (YES THERE IS ONLY ONE BRAKE PAD WITH SENSOR) then you have to undo the connector
First take the connector of the clip (easy) then I suggest you have a very good look at your new brake pad connector and see how the clip actually work – a small screwdriver will do the trick

Step five
Take off the disc- will it the screw come loose yes or no!!!!! Use a very heavy screwdriver with a 100% fit and it will come loose take off the disc and you are ready for re-assembly

Step six
CLEANING
Clean clean clean, make sure all brake dust is gone (use the brake cleaning spray) and use a baby wet wipe to clean the outside house of the sensor

Step seven
Re-assembly of the new disc – use the copper crease on the inside and use the set screw to hold the disc back in place

WATCH OUT for the direction you put the grooved disc back on again, the direction should be spinning outwards to ensure it can get ride off the brake dust!!!!!

Put the new brake pads in the calliper, also use copper crease here on the clips

Put the calliper back and put some locktite on the thread of the bolt and copper grease on the shaft – set the bolt with 22 newton meter and put the plastic caps back on. Do not forget to reconnect the sensor and put it back in its holding clip

STEP Eight
After re-assembly re-apply the brake until solid, so all break fluid is back and you can do the other side, this will prevent overflow of the brake fluid reservoir!!!

Good write up there!

My dealer fitted new discs and pads a few weeks ago but i have found that they are not that great so it would be interesting to know how you get on with these and your opinion.

Regards,
Paul :)

manhattan$ said:
Good write up there!

My dealer fitted new discs and pads a few weeks ago but i have found that they are not that great so it would be interesting to know how you get on with these and your opinion.

Regards,
Paul :)

First impression after 150miles

SUPERB, i can realy feel the difference, so much more grip, solid, and high stopping power.

If you can wait till the weekend, then i can give the full write-up

Havank said:
You wouldn't change your gold-discs for these would you :D :D

Haha seems like someone has stolen my gold discs and replaced them with standard.:( (or maybe they just flaked away?!)

Your new discs certainly look better and you say they perform better too, looks like a very good mod. You must take a picture with the wheels on so we can see the finished look!

As a health and safety bod at my works I should add to step 1 support vehicle on axle stands!!!

Working off a jack alone is possibly lethal, as you said the jack does move when you raise the car, it will also move when you push pull prod & poke whatever bits you are working on.

Be safe stay alive!!!

tdiman said:
As a health and safety bod at my works I should add to step 1 support vehicle on axle stands!!!

Working off a jack alone is possibly lethal, as you said the jack does move when you raise the car, it will also move when you push pull prod & poke whatever bits you are working on.

Be safe stay alive!!!

I fully agree,

Unfortunately you cannot see the bricks behind and infront of all the wheels, and you cannot see the stack of bricks underneeth the car

I am a very heatlh anxious person, and would not do anything that could put myself or the car into any kind of danger or damage

I would never never never rely on the jack alone

Chris

Back