flashing immobiliser light

skyman

Hi there,

Hope someone can help!

We've had our A2 for nearly 2 years with no problems (apart from a spring and a wheel bearing - but those were easy fixes!)

This morning I tried to start the A2 and the immobiliser light remained flashing, therefore the engine wouldn't start.

I got out, locked the car with the remote, counted to ten for luck and opened car again. Same story. I then tried the second key fob, again same story. Renewed battery. Again same problem.

Eventually had to push A2 to end of driveway, get the MX5 out and push A2 back in.

I've checked the manual and searched the forum, but haven't found any answers. Can anyone help?

Cheers

Hi skyman
A friend had the same problem with his TDi and it turned out to be a faulty engine speed sensor (G28)
I suspect the petrol engine will use a similar sensor. If you know anyone with VagCom it should be fairly easy to diagnose the fault

Cheers Spike

If it had just affected one key I would have said it was just the key getting out of sync with the immobilser module (which happens to one of our keys occasionally). To resync a key just lock and unlock using the key in the drivers door. Might still be worth a try. The immboliser symbol should go out as soon as you get to ignition on (without starting).

Sounds more like the immobilser module in the car that is not working, perhaps both keys need recoding.

Dave

Last edited:
Well...

After a big hissy fit at 7.30am on Wednesday morning (from the wife, not the A2 - just because I needed to take her car to work!), I tried to start the A2 on Thursday night and guess what?

Yes - you're right. Car started no problem at all. Have been using it since with no problems, so your guess is as good as mine.

I will try to get it checked out next time I'm near the garage, but all seems fine for now.

Hi skyman
That's good news but if your car is still in warranty then I recommend you get the dealer to check it out just in case it won't start again under more inconvenient circumstances.
I seem to recall my friend's tdi had a couple of non-starts before finally going completely dead due to the failed sensor. He called out Audi Assist who were brilliant.

Cheers Spike

Well unfortunatley the problem is back, so i took it to Audi today. The mechanic couldn't find anything wrong because the problem didn't happen when he was checking it. The suggestion was a faulty ignition barrel, which seemed possible to me, but no gaurantee. So they are going to take it in over two days to try and find the fault. Barrel is £80 + £150 labour so we shall see. keep you posted!

You would think the diagnostics would store the relavent problem. On our A6 I have an intermitent alarm issue, if I scan it afterwards it tells me which rear door glass is broken! Which is obviously a sensor issue.

all back to normal

After eventually having to give in and hand the car to Audi then managed to find the fault, but couldn't define the cause! Possibility 1 was that we needed a new read coil in the ignition barrel - £80, possibility 2 was a new dash to sort out the immobiliser sensor - £250

We opted to go for the ignition barrel. Can you guess what happened? Yes indeed, it was a new dash that was needed. Final bill of £481! But we do have a car that now starts whenever we need it too! Well worth it!

Thanks to all who gave various suggestions as to what could be causing the problem and to Perth Audi for being very patient with the car.

Back