Fog light electrical drain?

Keithb

This may have been discussed before (did a search couldn't find anything related), but do A2's (specifically my '51 TDI SE) suffer from a fluctuation in idle speed when using the fog lights?

I've just driven back from Cheltenham in seriously dire weather conditions (lashing it down and lots of standing water), and I used my front foggies as visibility was poor. Anyway when I got home and sat idling on the drive the revs were a hint lumpier than normal. I've just been back out and switching the front fogs on and off does seem to effect the idle speed (only very, very slightly).

Do A2's suffer in very damp weather conditions like old school Minis (The dizzy's on Mini were always an issue being on the front of the engine and frequently had problems in very wet weather).

Thanks.
K :)

Hi Keith,

the extra current drain will very slightly cause a fluctuation in the revs, but nothing major.

Nothing is noted about poor damp weather performance either, on petrol or diesel models.

You could check that the drain hole at the bottom of the air filter housing is clear though, as this could lead to poor performance if water builds up to any great extent and this is a known issue on several older Audi models.

Cheers,

Mike

I noticed since it has got colder when I first start up in the morning or after it has a good few hours of rest, mine hovers around 900-1100 for a good 30 seconds or until I press the gas pedal.. I think this is normal?

Thanks chaps, not sure what it is but it has stopped it from working :(.

Started it up this morning and it sounded very lumpy (as if one cylinder wasn't firing)...then it coughed and died. Tried restarting and nothing, just turns over and won't fire.

Could water have gotten into an injector (complete guess...do A2 Diesels have injectors?) ;)

Hi Keithb
A2 diesels do have injectors but they are hidden inside the rocker cover and can't be affected by water - unless it has got into the fuel tank. Even then I would expect the engine to start but run very roughly.
There are very few faults which will cause the engine to die completely and as the engine cranks but wont start my guess would be either the engine speed sensor or the engine imobiliser. We seem to be saying this in every reply recently but a diagnostic scan is the next obvious step.

Cheers Spike

Hi Keithb
A2 diesels do have injectors but they are hidden inside the rocker cover and can't be affected by water - unless it has got into the fuel tank. Even then I would expect the engine to start but run very roughly.
There are very few faults which will cause the engine to die completely and as the engine cranks but wont start my guess would be either the engine speed sensor or the engine imobiliser. We seem to be saying this in every reply recently but a diagnostic scan is the next obvious step.

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike, its going back to the dealers when they can be bothered to collect it! :( My first week of A2 ownership hasn't been brilliant.

Beofre resorting to the dealers, just check that all connectors are sound and that there is no water in anywhere there shouldn't be.

Whip off the bonnet and have a look round there and also the passenger footwell compartment, as there are a lot of connectors under there, including all the engine ECU ones.

Spike is right in that the injectors are very unlikely to be the culprits. I note that you changed the fuel filter earlier in the week - is it possible you introduced an air lock into the system? That is a definite cause for poor running or lumpiness.

Cheers,

Mike

Beofre resorting to the dealers, just check that all connectors are sound and that there is no water in anywhere there shouldn't be.

Whip off the bonnet and have a look round there and also the passenger footwell compartment, as there are a lot of connectors under there, including all the engine ECU ones.

Spike is right in that the injectors are very unlikely to be the culprits. I note that you changed the fuel filter earlier in the week - is it possible you introduced an air lock into the system? That is a definite cause for poor running or lumpiness.

Cheers,

Mike

I'll take a look over the weekend (I doubt the Dealer will have sorted anything by then anyway!;)). I did 200 miles after fitting the new fuel filter, would an air lock take that long to appear? Thanks for your help Mike. :)

Dealer has taken it away and predicts I'll get a full refund...BUT I have everything crossed they will fix the little fella for me. :)

Just in case is anyone selling a 51+ plate TDI for £5000-5500? ;)

Back