Ford Ka quicker than my A2

Telzon

When I drive my wifes Ford Ka 1.3, it seems quicker on acceleration than my A2 1.4 sport (44.000 Miles) maybe I need to change the plugs or something. or maybe its built for economy. any ideas. before I die of shame lol.

I think the published 0-60 times for the A2 & Ka are about the same, but you should get more miles per gallon with the A2.

My Missus has a Ka, and it might "feel" like it accelerates quicker than my A2, but above 70 things start to get a little hairy in the Ka..

Maybe thats it. The A2 doesn't really make a song and dance about acceleration, it just does it, while the Ka makes lots of noise when it does, well at least my Missus' does anyway lol

Or you could take Kkallioj's advice :D

that's the main problem with mine, lack of speed, now i want a diesel not so much for economy but grunt.
i regularly drive a new shape transit van and it can whip my 1.4 on acceleration:( now that's embarassing.

While I don't doubt the lack of grunt on the 1.4 petrol and I certainly would not mind the 1.6FSI. I'm sure your A2 will out pace the Transit at the first turn or roundabout. If you want to win Trafficlight GP, there are plenty of choices like 200bhp Puntos or other highly modified FWD small hatches that will gaurantee even the Tank is left for dust ;-)

I've been driving both my Mum's Ford Ka and my new 1.4 petrol A2 today. The Ka did seem quite nippy in comparison although I think it is because the Ka initially seems very responsive (first few mm of accelerator travel) but then if you floor it, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. The A2 seems the opposite, the accelerator is initially not very responsive but if you floor it, it makes more difference. The Ka is also 8v so has more go low down in the rev range.

I've just come from a 200BHP remapped Leon Cupra to my 75BHP 1.4, and although it is obviously slow in comparison, it is not hideously so.

ford ka quicker than a2

OK OK I love this A2, I was gonna put go faster stripes on it, I just have to wash it twice a week, and keep looking out the window at it (but not from the Ka) oh the exhaust was a good idea lol

I moved from a 1.6 SportKa to my 1.4 A2 Sport - the A2 requires a bit more effort to go quickly due to being less torquey, however the ride and handling is great and allows lots of energy to be carried. The A2's trump card is being able to assume the role of effortless and efficient cruiser if I want it to - something the Sportka was never comfortable with.

My only minor grumble would be the initial response of the weird electric throttle, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Overall, I'm really pleased I made the move to A2. :)

I had the 1.6sport ka as a courtesy car once. it was slower than the 1.4tdi A2 drank more fuel and made more noise.

While I don't doubt the lack of grunt on the 1.4 petrol and I certainly would not mind the 1.6FSI. I'm sure your A2 will out pace the Transit at the first turn or roundabout. If you want to win Trafficlight GP, there are plenty of choices like 200bhp Puntos or other highly modified FWD small hatches that will gaurantee even the Tank is left for dust ;-)

beware at the traffic lights, have you seen the bhp and torque of the more powerfull turbo diesel transits, it handles nicely too.
mine's a 130bhp and higher power is available, with nothing in the back power to weight is hilarious for a big van:p
off topic slightly (again) i recently tried a remapped vw transporter sportline, the owner was sure it was making over 200bhp and showed 125mph plus on the clock, not sure if it would suit my plumbing needs:rolleyes:but it sure did fly.

Last edited:
The 1.3 Ka is powered by Ford's ubiquitous OHV engine which was removed from the Ark by Noah because it was too old-fashioned then.

What it does have (along with costing nothing to make) is a decent amount of low-down torque; if you want a lazy-slogger and north of 3000rpm is like a motoring death-zone, you also don't care about Noise, Vibration and Harshness, it works. If you want something with culture and a bit of top-end life then the 1.4 16v VAG unit is better. I find the A2 1.4 petrol a bit languid under 3000rpm but it's perfectly good on the open road.

Anyway, Traffic Light GP's are for mouth-breathers...

What he said ..:)

Back