Forum Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RTV

Hi

Having sold my Leon Cupra for an Audi A2 I also changed my forum friends from http://www.seatcupra.net to www.a2forum.net

The cupra.net web-site had very humble beginings about 2 years ago
and has since gone on to become an extremely successful site with adverts and links with seat uk and millions of hits every month.

For me there are a couple of things which were key to the success of their forum.

1) The forum was open to the public for viewing, they only had to
sign up if they wished to make a post. Most people are put off by form filling initially but after reading a good thread get somewhat hooked and sign up straight away.

2) Each time someone replys to a post everyone subscribed to that post
receives an e-mail informing them that someone has posted a reply. This has the effect of turning the forum into a kind of chat forum
and speeds up the whole thread as each e-mail contains a link which took you to the relevant thread. Where as at the moment people loose
interest and post replys over days instead of minutes.

If the A2OC already has these features then I'll get my coat, if not then I hope I have made a worthwhile contribution to this great site.

Thanks

RTV

2002 TDI SE - Silver - Open Sky System

Hi RTV,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have thought about them both in the past but have never actually implemented either of them. However, for now I have switched off the requirement to be logged in to view posts - let's see how that goes for a while.

The other suggestion you had was for 'subscriptions' which I unfortunately cannot do as it doesn't work on this forum!! Kaine and I tried to implement it a month or so ago but sadly could not get it to work. Will let you know if I have any success in the future.

Stuart_D (Forum Admin)
A2OC: www.Audi-A2.co.uk

Hi Stuart

Great stuff, thanks for listening !

RTV

I see the subcriber option is working, if you could just set it to do it automatically we're onto a winner !

Cheers

Dave

I don't think that's going to happen - plus I'd rather leave it to each user to decide if they want the feature on or off.

2001 TDi SE | Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest
www.Audi-A2.co.uk | www.A2Forum.net

Oh well I tried. It's just what you get used to on other sites.
Works really well !

I can't understand why anyone would not want to be informed of replys
after they had posted..

Dave,

For your info, snitz forums is actually free forum software, whereas vBulletin (seatcupra.net forum software) costs. I think that vbulletin is a little more developed than the basic snitz forum, hence you found a few good items already. For a piece of free software, you must admit snitz is very good, and fortunately (unlike vbulletin) can be modified freely (as long as you know what your doing that is).

I think you may have confused Stuart. I guess what you are saying is to get automatic subscription to the thread you have made, or posted in, and not just automatically for everything. Correct?

Kaine

----------------------------------------------------------
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie

quote:Originally posted by RTV
I can't understand why anyone would not want to be informed of replys
after they had posted..

It's a nice idea. But I wouldn't want it. I'm utterly against unwanted email. After all, spam belongs in a can not in my mailbox.
But I'm afraid it would clutter may mailbox and I wouldn't read all the mails.
I'm for the opt-in system !

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Sorry for any confussion.

Yes Kaine thats exactly what I mean, it's not spam at all, automatic
subscription to a thread ONLY if you post to it. It would hardly clutter anyones mail box as this is an extremely small forum.

For a free piece of software it's excellent, there's hardly any difference between vBullitin and snitz.

Without this threads can become very disjointed with people replying
as an when they come back to the site instead of recieving a link
directing to them to the relevant thread..

Also I know with vBulltin that you do have the option to opt out if you want to..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back