Front Disc Replacement

Are the discs in the picture the ones for the A2(have you asked the vendor).
As A2 front discs should be vented and theones in the picture are solid discs and quite pricey too.
I have just fitted a set of these:-
db_1_b.JPG

They are being sold on ebay for Audi A3 and Golf fitments,but these ones do fit the A2 as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PERFORMANCE-B...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I'm using standard new Audi pads at the moment.
As for if there any good ,I'm still bedding them in (first 500 miles gentle braking)
So I couldnt tell you what there like for fast road driving,however in theory they should work well and I can tell you that they are not any noisier in use than the standard discs (some people complain about extra noise due to the grooving/cross drilling).

So far so good as far as I'm concerned.
By the way the discs are called/made by a company called Evo something(thrown box away so cant remeber the exact name) and I have found other retailers on the internet selling the same discs for over a £100, so they would appear to be decent quality.

Most of these eBay products will be Chinese product branded in sexy packaging for the European market. That does not mean to say they are not any good - just why would you pay a high price for a brand you've never heard of from a retailer you never knew existed?

For the A2, unless you are like one of our German members, who regularly drives at 180-200km/per hour, a standard disc from a reputable brand is cheaper and just as useful.

Don't get me wrong - the better brands also source a lot of their stuff from China too - it's just that they have a reputation to protect so the likes of Brembo will ensure that even their cheaper ranges come from factories operating to the right (European) quality standards.

Mike

actually these discs are ok, i spoke to the seller and i recognized the stuff, these are high grade brakes made by Evosport the guys who also make EBC greenstuff

I know there is a lot of talking about whether its needed yes or no, but as i have to replace my current ones as they are warped, why not change them for performance ones, (and the total package is cheaper then original)

Also the stopping power is better with these performance discs as there is less slippage (in wet and dry) so overal its a win win situation

The discs on ebay are "Evosport Performance 40 Discs".

This is the official blurb on them:-

At last, high performance drilled and grooved brake discs that won’t break the bank!!! The new Performance 40 range of brake discs from Evosport offer more stopping power and less brake fade during heavy braking thanks to their combination of grooves and drilled holes. * The grooves draw cool air across the pad surface keeping the discs and pads cooler whilst also expelling water, dust and hot gases. * The drilled holes reduce mass, lower brake temperatures and break down surface gases when braking at speed. * Manufactured to British Standard BS1452 Grade 220 and DIN1691 GG20. * Direct replacement for standard discs. .
This results in: More stopping power; Less fade during braking; Increased performance
30 drilled holes and 10 slots.

So they are made to both Bristish and DIN standards so I would assume they are up to the job.
If you want to pay more you can quite happily buy them from here

Brake discs come into 3 categories;

Standard

Sexy

Serious

Standard is all that is required for the performance of a standard car with a decent safety margin built in.

Sexy is a standard disc with a few gooves / dimples / holes and a a host of claims that make little or no practical difference to braking performance. You are paying for looks, packaging and marketing.

Serious are proper performance discs made of high grade cast iron and heat treated, that you would safely use on a high performance trackday car where brake temperatures might rech 600-700 degrees.

For the A2:

Standard is fine; serious is pointless and sexy is all about looks.

mjs4x4 said:
Brake discs come into 3 categories;

Standard

Sexy

Serious

Standard is all that is required for the performance of a standard car with a decent safety margin built in.

Sexy is a standard disc with a few gooves / dimples / holes and a a host of claims that make little or no practical difference to braking performance. You are paying for looks, packaging and marketing.

Serious are proper performance discs made of high grade cast iron and heat treated, that you would safely use on a high performance trackday car where brake temperatures might rech 600-700 degrees.

For the A2:

Standard is fine; serious is pointless and sexy is all about looks.
I agree with you on the above,
But I was in the same boat as Havank,my existing discs were warped really noticeable when braking from 70 down to 50,so a new pair were on the agenda.

The ones on fleabay just happened to be convenient and well priced,I did not specifically want cross-drilled or grooved discs but at the prices on there it would have been rude not to.

I agree with all the above, and yes yes yes..........

I did started off this thread by saying i wanted something sexy, i am not after super performance discs (not needed)

I needed to replace the current discs, so why not :D

So tell me mjs4x4, if you had the choice what would you do??

Back