Front strut top gap..

A2Tone

I know this has been mentioned before but there is an approx 4mm gap between the underside of the metal cup and the foam/rubber of the strut top... and i think causing a dreadful bang/rattle when driving over bumps in the road..
Should this be like this??
Could i fill this gap with a couple of washers?

Attachments

• 20230621_202744.jpg
    20230621_202744.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • 20230621_202813.jpg
    20230621_202813.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
This is what a brand new Febi look like (for reference) on my struts that are waiting for me to fit them!

View attachment 112029
Thanks birtyA2,
At least that proves to me that the gap i have shouldn't be there and i have tried tightening the top nut,to close the gap, but its definitely tight...
It looks like the suspension may have been renewed previously as the round top nut covers are missing..

Yes it looks like it’s shrunk away from the top metal bit that the strut bolts to and I imagine no amount of tightening will have any effect, so looks like a top mount change could be called for at least, how do the shocks and springs look?

You could try a post to the wanted section for replacement top mount domes, hopefully one of the 3 breakers @Ami, @Clackers or @A2Steve will be able to help

Reactions: Ami
Yes it looks like it’s shrunk away from the top metal bit that the strut bolts to and I imagine no amount of tightening will have any effect, so looks like a top mount change could be called for at least, how do the shocks and springs look?

You could try a post to the wanted section for replacement top mount domes, hopefully one of the 3 breakers @Ami, @Clackers or @A2Steve will be able to help
There should be a cover on each side like the picture, I have just reserved these for @donp38 , I will remove them from my next breakers arriving shortly. very tight b****r to get them out
thumbnail_IMG_7447.jpg

I have replaced with the original part 6N0412331E and it had a gap.
Regards.
Oh yes you have a point, looking at some pictures on the web for new ones it does seem like they show a gap, wish I’d taken pictures of mine before assembling the struts.

If this is something that’s developed on old shocks then your top mounts are naffed. If it’s on new shocks then you haven’t tightened the top nut enough.

Thanks again for the info....
A2Steve This is a "new to me" a2 1.4tdi 75 sport, so i dont know the last time the suspension was played with and the gap closes once i jack up the front of the car...
I've just been out and measured the gap between the top of the 205/40 17 tyres to the wheel arch front and back at 45-50mm out of interest.
Thanks 'Ami', i will take a pair of top covers when you have some please..

Reactions: Ami
Any one know what size is the top nut is on the damper?
Anyone have torgue setting for this nut and the bolts for the top mount?
Many thanks...

I know this has been mentioned before but there is an approx 4mm gap between the underside of the metal cup and the foam/rubber of the strut top... and i think causing a dreadful bang/rattle when driving over bumps in the road..
Should this be like this??
Could i fill this gap with a couple of washers?
Hi A2Tone,
Possibly maybe loss of bearings in the strut top if the gap closes when you jack up the car although I doubt it ?
Although Normal culprits are anti roll bar bushes & drop links
(MEYLE HD) preferably for the latter.
Just been out & checked the new genuine top mount I have on the spares shelf & it has a 3mm gap as standard in fitted with a rubber section of smaller diameter than the mount visibleimage.jpgimage.jpg
Top nut torque is 60 NM from memory
Hope that helps
Keith

Last edited:
Back