Front strut top mount

Heard a very loud clunk when reversing out of the drive today - just investigated, and looking at the front strut top mount on the nearside from inside wheelarch, as the wheels are turned to full left lock, the top of the spring and the rubber pad suddenly twist round maybe 1/2 inch. This is causing the clunk.

Not sure what may be the cause of this. Is it possible for the strut top nut to loosen? With the bonnet off, I tried to get the plastic cap off the strut top, but without using too much force, I couldn't get it off to check.

Before I get too deep into this, does anyone have any advice as to a cause?

Thanks

If you get a firm grip of the plastic cap it will come off

BUT you will have a job to get it back on as you have to put it on the strut befor you put it in

if you get some WD40 and spray it at the top mount to see if this helps under the wheelarch if not it may be that you will need a top strut mount these do go from time to time

the bearings may have worn or rusted up a bit

cheers
robin

Hi Monkeyfinger

In addition to Robin's suggestions, check to see if the spring is ok. A few members have reported 'clunking' noises which turned out to be the result of a broken coil on one of the front springs

Cheers Spike

Thanks guys.

I thought I would try lubricating the top mount, so will give this a try tomorrow.

I may also try and relieve the tension on the spring with some compressors, to try and check for a broken coil - nothing is visible from my brief look earlier.

Thanks as always...

Well, checked the strut this morning, and the road spring is broken - looks like the small coil at the top has snapped off, which is allowing the top of the spring to run askew on the top mounting pad. I've no idea when this happened, but the break looks fairly clean and fresh.

Checked with Southampton Audi, and they can't get a spring until wednesday (£46). Hopefully going to get a local garage to do this work.

I have to admit that I am starting to get sick and tired of the problems this car throws up. In 25 years of motoring I've never had a spring go, and this is an ultralight Audi, not some rubbishy BL motor (I had a TR7, and that was way more reliable!).

Hi monkeyfinger, I was also having reliabilty problems with my A2 thats why i got rid of it. i had more problems with the A2 than I ever did with any other car I owned and i have owned a few cars in my driving years. I bought the A2 thinking it was going to be reliable but I was proved wrong

broken coil?

Hi Moneyfinger - I think I have the same problem, during my commute home last night I heard a loudish bang followed by a knocking sound everytime I drove over any minor bumps.

Took the A2 to my local ATS this morning and they couldn't see anything wrong with the exhaust so I suspect it's a coil spring - also took the A2 to my regular servicing garage and it's booked in for work next week - again without examing the car the mechanic thought it was likely to be a broken coil.

Question - what did it cost to get yours fixed - did you go for a straight standard Audi replacment?

I'm somewhat frustrated that the coil has gone - only done 27k from new.:mad:

Thanks

Broken Coil Spring

Hi Albertofrog,

My A2 has just clocked up over 70K miles. Broken coil springs, and anti roll bar problems are a definite weak point with the A2. I'm told that this is not unique to the A2 and perhaps it is a sign of the poor state of the road surfaces. I have had springs and anti roll bar replaced.

From what I have read on this site. standard springs, Koni FSD dampers and 15" wheels will help avoid the problem in future. I have 16" and I may change to a 195 50 tyre rather than the standard 185 50 just to have a side wall with a bit more cushion. Koni FSD will be on my shopping list if I decide to hold onto the A2 for any length of time.

John.

Hi John, thanks for the post. I agree that the combination of the A2's firm ride and tyre wall profile makes it relatively susceptible to poor road surfaces - certainly my commute takes in some of North and West Yorkshire's poorer roads with a share of speed bumps.

I'll report back after the A2's been in to the garage this week.

Poor_John said:
Hi Albertofrog,

My A2 has just clocked up over 70K miles. Broken coil springs, and anti roll bar problems are a definite weak point with the A2. I'm told that this is not unique to the A2 and perhaps it is a sign of the poor state of the road surfaces. I have had springs and anti roll bar replaced.

John.
At the weekend I was speaking to a friend who runs a small garage workshop - in the last couple of months he has had to replace roll bar bushes etc. on our A2, a couple of Polos and an A3. All similar problems - the Polo and the A2 even use virtually the same parts. Another friend had to spend hundreds rebuilding the front suspension of a Mk4 Golf after about 4/5 years. Seems to be common on VAG cars.

Broken Coil Spring

When my 2001 1.4 TDI 75 was having its anti roll bar replaced, the dealer lent me a 2004 1.4 petrol A2. I have to say that the car had no problems with speed bumps. Not sure if this was because there is less weight over the front axle, comparing a 1.4 petrol to a 1.4 diesel, or that Audi had revised the suspension specification between 2001 and 2004. It will be interesting, over the next few years, to see if later A2s suffer fewer suspension problems than early A2s.

John.

Springs live to fight another day!

Great news, my A2 was suffering from a disconnected bush (?) joint on the suspension (sorry the description is vague but my wife dealt with the garage as I was working). The upshot is that our trusty local garage has repaired the problem for £28 all in - no parts were needed. However, it still suggests a weakness in the A2's suspension set up if something important can come unconnected thanks to a pot hole or two...

Guess what - my A2 failed its MoT on Saturday due to a broken front NS spring...

Called my local Audi shop & suggested that Audi should pay for it as the car is just under 5 years old and has only done 43k miles. Guess what, they said "no". Called Audi customer services. They said "no" too. Claimed that even under warranty they would only pay 70% anyway. Said I could try claiming but I would have to pay the local dealership for "diagnosis", and I may get £10 off them if I'm lucky. So the dealership would charge £206 for the job, plus diagnosis. Diagnosis that had been done by the MoT station and was obvious in seconds if you look under the wing.

So I bought a new spring, top bearing & nut (they recommend replacing the bearing when you do the spring) from Audi today for £54 (retail less a 5% discount). Having it fitted tomorrow by local independent mechanics as I don't like paying £85/hour for bog-standard spanner-work. Should take 1.25-1.5 hours.

Anyway, when I collected the parts, the parts man told me it was a common fault, and that the spring has been modified to make it stronger.

I've got a good mind to take Audi UK to the small claims court over this. It's clearly a common problem due to a design defect, judging by the number of reports of it and the parts man's comments.

I suspect that the bearing fails first due to salt/grit. There's always more on the left hand side in this country. When it starts to seize you get huge twisting forces on the top of the spring whenever you turn the wheel. Hit a bump at the same time and it just adds to those forces.

Interestingly, I think we've driven for a while with it broken. It may have been like this since we got it in April last year. A couple of times I've noticed the tell-tale graunching sound of a failed strut bearing, but it wasn't regular enough to convince me there was a problem. I've had one go on another car and it was consistent, every time you turned the wheel.

Strangely the spring didn't cause any noises, ride-height or handling/steering problems until the MoT. On the way back it made regular clonking noises - there was obviously a problem. I jacked the car up to take a closer look when I got home, and when I drove it to the repairer today it seemed fine again. Clearly what's happening is that the top of the spring is settling in a different position aftre jacking and hence may make obvious noises or may be silent, depending on where it ends up.

I've attached 3 photos:
1) the near-side broken spring
2) a close-up of the broken spring end
3) the off-side unbroken spring

Probably worth everyone checking to ensure theirs aren't broken...

Mark

Mr K said:
I suspect that the bearing fails first due to salt/grit. There's always more on the left hand side in this country. When it starts to seize you get huge twisting forces on the top of the spring whenever you turn the wheel. Hit a bump at the same time and it just adds to those forces.

I picked up my car today after having the front NS sprong replaced. I asked to keep the parts. On inspection the bearing does not appear to be siezed, at least when turning it by hand. Could be different with 1/3 of the car's weight on it, but I can't simulate that! So my suspicion was not confirmed in my own case... Probably down to potholes, kerbs, etc.

Anyway, the car rides better over big bumps and dips now, as one might expect, and steers nice and smoothly.

Total cost was about £155 including a tracking check/adjustment at a local independent mechanic, with genuine parts from Audi. Would have been £206 if Audi had done it, so a worthwhile saving.

Mark

Back