FSI engine noise

Tontonly

Our 1.6 FSI was making a weird clicking rattling noise from the engine after a long journey of about 400 miles. Noise from the cambelt area. Car was still running fine but had the noise and slight vibration at Idle. My guess was the belt tensioner or their bearings. Seeing that the cars done just under 70000 miles it'll be time to change all the cambelt and tensioners anyway.

After some research on the A2OC and google pretty much all the searches came up with A2 TDI cambelt changes. I decided to give it a go at changing the petrol FSI belts myself.

So ordered the belts and tensioners from Audi Stoke and camshaft setting tool from somewhere else. See how it goes tomorrow.

Regards
Tony

Just uploaded a short video to youtube but is being processed so not 'live' yet.
Don't know how long it takes to 'process' a vid in youtube?

The link is here anyway might become live later or tomorrow Noisy engine video

Nearly 24 hour update: Just checked and is still processing Is that a problem?

Last edited:
Update: found out what would be the main reason for the noise and vibration.

And to think I'd been driving for nearly two weeks with this problem.
Now wheres my delivery mr fed-ex??
And I hope this part is in the kit!! Is the relay roller the same as the" idler roller" in Elsawin
310820104461.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, mine had the same problem, it was coming up to be due for cam belt change and then started to make a strange rattling noise. Turned out one of the rollers had sheared in half and was the cause of the problem. I was so lucky that the roller didn't cut through the belt!

Is yours a petrol or diesel? Or is this a common(ish) thing to happen to both engines? Maybe thats why the roller is part of the kit.

Still waiting parts...zzzzz

Parts eventually arrived and stuck them all on and put back together.
No rattles and belts run smooth but....
Theres always a but, theres a whining noise now(Sounds like the vehicles in snes f-zero or maybe electric cars?). Have to sort it out tomorrow, needed to go out to work so had to stop working on it.

All in all, no major problems at all, Test drove it and all is OK, except the f-zero sound effects which I'm sure will be cured tomorrow ;)

All is good, the noise was coming from the bottom belt cover just needed to take it off and reseat. Easy peasy ;) yeah right

Back