FSI leak from undertray!

sailesh

A2OC Donor
I just collected my FSI and there seems to be a noticeable leak when parked and visible from the undertray - see pics. Currently parked in Winchester services but can anyone give a pointer please?

No warning lights on the dash yet.. not sure if it’s safe to continue 200 miles home to London

e0476b770087bc11ac88c9fb132d83a3.jpg

d8ca6fd5fde2b85192dab3b27e07f598.jpg

ef334d9b104126a2e7f63f0d8a9daba6.jpg

cae3891c34dd0ae2861d48bc8162cdcf.jpg

fcb6385c91286df911062008a34a0856.jpg

It could have been air-con leakage, or just the air freezing - but given the amount in the photos I'm not so sure.

Is the pressure in the coolant okay?

It could have been air-con leakage, or just the air freezing - but given the amount in the photos I'm not so sure.

Is the pressure in the coolant okay?

Thanks, the first pics are after being stopped for 15 mins on a downward sloping driveway, after driving for about 10 mins. I’ve now been parked at a services for 15 mins (around 30 mins into a drive) and there’s only one or two drops to report, no puddle or trail as before.

Pressure seems okay as there was a small amount of water expelled when I undid the coolant cap.

On the other hand, could it simply be windscreen wash drainage? I can’t remember if the pipe below is typically routed this way..

8555da04f5f0b8b742908f17338eff25.jpg

On the other hand, could it simply be windscreen wash drainage? I can’t remember if the pipe below is typically routed this way..

8555da04f5f0b8b742908f17338eff25.jpg

Scrub that idea, very little drain off goes through the pipe, and the coating on the undertray is clearly oil.. hopefully unrelated to the leak..

e6f7a2ffb2f640f9a95ed89a60f6690d.jpg

The bonnet drain is correct, driver side just goes down the side of the engine, that could wash old oil out the bottom and make it seem worse then it is, hows the oil level?

Check the coolant level every 15 miles as it could be the death pipe :(

Also keep a eye on the temperature gauge

Maybe you have a oil leak and coolant leak ?

Check your oil also ASAP :)

Oil levels look good, in-fact seems to be slightly over max.. the last service was only 4K miles ago so maybe a combination of overfill + leak + washer fluid is to blame.

Definitely concerned about “death pipe” on day 2, so have now decided to drive it 45 miles straight to Steve Birchall’s favoured mechanic in Twickenham (top guys, both). Should be okay but will keep an eye on things, fingers crossed..

Thanks for the help all round!

Phew! Safely delivered to a sound A2 expert, and 62 mpg getting there virtually driving Miss Daisy I suspect the washer fluid was the bulk of the blame but a full diagnosis to follow in a few days. Fingers crossed, it’s ultimately a GOOD and not a BAD FSI..

@sailesh , I only just spotted your comment from the "1.6 FSI spotted thread", you only bought this car yesterday! very sorry to see you have a mild panic already, fingers crossed it gets a clean bill of health, and hope it was just all liquids that weren't supposed to be confined anyway!

I had a washer fluid leak from the tube connecting the filler to the bottle/tank where it had fretted away from resting on another tube. It was fixed with a length of heat shrink.

@sailesh , I only just spotted your comment from the "1.6 FSI spotted thread", you only bought this car yesterday! very sorry to see you have a mild panic already, fingers crossed it gets a clean bill of health, and hope it was just all liquids that weren't supposed to be confined anyway!

No worries - I may have overreacted simply because of the death pipe concerns! Can never tell when age is a risk, but it’s a credit as always to have such a great forum. I’ll get posting with some nice pics and plans soon.. :)

Back