fsi radiator big job?

a2sumo

A2OC Donor
hi all over the last couple of months i have had to add coolent to the header tank.it looses about 1 litre every 5-6 weeks (2000-2500miles). well today i found the reason, looks like i have a weepy radiator down the left hand side(looking from front of car). no drips as such just old coolent residue and a darker area on the edge.
now how much should i expect to pay for supply and fit?---is it easy to get out? or can anybody recomend a radiator sealer? as its not taken a hit or stone damage can i expect the sealent to work? the car goes in to my local independent on tuesday for cam belt kit and water pump change so my big problem is to seal or not?
hope your all having a great crimbo mike

I have used Bar's Leaks radiator sealer in the past as an emergency measure on a previous Audi. I then bought a new radiator but never fitted it because the old one never leaked again. Now I would only use sealer as a temporary fix as there is always a risk of it failing at the most inconvenient time (on holiday etc)
I assume the FSI has an aluminium rad with plastic header tanks so this Bars Leaks product may be suitable - http://www.barsproducts.com/1185.htm

A word of warning to early TDi owners with the Webasto heater - never use rad sealer as Audi give dire warnings about it clogging up the Webasto.

Sorry I can't help with the cost of a replacement radiator.

Cheers Spike

A new radiator is a very reasonable £90 from a main dealer, so won't break the bank. Part number 8Z0 121 251 D.

Fitting is probably a different matter though, as I think that the lock carrier needs to be loosened to get the radiator out and that involves the bumper off and a whole host of other bits and bobs!

Stealth Racing may be able to answer this more fully, as they've replaced the intercooler, which is in a similar position.

Cheers,

Mike

thanks guys i'm going to try the sealent at the moment and get a new rad in the new year. i did look the ease of doing it yesterday when i noticed the oxide on the rad, and it does look like a bumper off job-bummer.i was hoping that the two supports just un bolt and you can tip the rad out of the gap between bumper and front cross member. wishfull thinking on my part:D have a good new year and take care mikee

Back