FSI Tuning

jamjia

Anyone here have experience with tuning the FSI engine? What kind of results have people noticed? I'm thinking of getting one of these tuners to remap my 1.6 to give more HP so any personal experience from FSI owners who have done this is very welcomed.

Jia

As it's a non-turbo car, the results are quite bad value for money - no more than 15PS or so and about £350.

It is a topic which has been covered many times, but not so recently.

Cheers,

Mike

True, you won't get much more bhp or torque but it might well make it smoother and iron out any niggles with the power delivery, and lets face it, there are a few. Still too expensive though, I got my BMW done for less and thats a much more stressed engine. There was a post on this a month or so back, someone on here has had it done (sorry can't remember who).

That was probably me.

AMD did ours at the same time as fitting cruise control.

Definitely felt smoother afterwards and slightly better economy. +10bhp, +10lbft as shown on the rolling road. FSI needs all the help it can get I reckon.

Thats interesting, what was the power from the engine before the remapping? Does remapping your engine break the warranty? I'm hesitant to remap if warranty would be voided...

The Audsi warranty scheme will not be voided in full by a re-map, the only part which would be void is the engine and related parts.

I have been told this on a number of occasions and have always had warranty work honoured, despite the somewhat changed nature if my car.

Don't let the warranty alone be a reason to put you off.

Cheers,

Mike

Rolling road showed (and it was a hot day)

BHP Torque/lbft
Before 105.3/5496 110.9/4523

After 117.6/5610 121.8/4494

Plots showed torque 10lb higher from 2000-6000. Bhp was significantly better 5000 on. Not large numbers but I was happy. with the improved smoothness. Power at the wheels was 92.5bhp on the after run.

Car was about to come out of warranty when the work was done.

Well folks wont be using AMD anymore, BigBoysToys have brought them out and Bicester is now closed.

lyndonbuck said:
True, you won't get much more bhp or torque but it might well make it smoother and iron out any niggles with the power delivery, and lets face it, there are a few. Still too expensive though, I got my BMW done for less and thats a much more stressed engine. There was a post on this a month or so back, someone on here has had it done (sorry can't remember who).

LB, I'm interested in your comments about 'niggles in power delivery'.

My Fsi has now been back to an Audi dealer 6 times in 12 months. I've been complaining about poor power, and erratic throttle response. They did finally identify fuel contamination as the root cause, and claimed to have fixed it. I again returned it to the dealer a week ago with essentially the same issues - non-linear throttle response and poor performance. I don't know what's going to happen when I press on the gas, sometimes it runs happily to the red line, sometimes it feels choked. My recent conersation with the audi tech leads me to suspect I'm going to get a 'Well they all do that Sir!' phone call...

Is this in fact a characteristic of a poorly developed Fsi installation? And can the after-market chip tuners offer alternatives?

More details on my blog here: http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.com/2007/02/let-me-tell-you-tale-of-my-audi-a2-are.html

regards,

SS7

Shoestring7 said:
They did finally identify fuel contamination as the root cause, and claimed to have fixed it.

And can the after-market chip tuners offer alternatives?

Hi shoestring7,

Interested to hear that you have had a fuel contamination diagnosis. I am not wishing to high jack this 'fsi' thread, but my TDI 75 is behaving similar to your fsi it would appear. Under full throttle the power seems to 'cut in and out', there is seldom constant fueling. Does this sound similar to your symptoms? If so, what did Audi do, flush the system? I take it from your post that this has made little or no difference, however!!

Mine goes in to the dealer this week for a variable service and I have asked for a fuel filter change at the same time, though I doubt it will resolve the issue though.:mad:

As for a re-map; well I have taken the plunge and I can say that this has exaggerated the problem and not cured it as you may be hoping for. (Though to be fair it may work for your fsi).

Cheers,

Darren

hi darren
As for a re-map; well I have taken the plunge and I can say that this has exaggerated the problem and not cured it as you may be hoping for

who did thr remap for you

at stealth when we use the roling road these problems show up and we change the map to suit the car that is why it is better to do a custom map for your car as all cars are not the same

cheers

robin

robin said:
hi darren
As for a re-map; well I have taken the plunge and I can say that this has exaggerated the problem and not cured it as you may be hoping for

who did thr remap for you

at stealth when we use the roling road these problems show up and we change the map to suit the car that is why it is better to do a custom map for your car as all cars are not the same

cheers

robin

Hi Robin,

I stuck with CCC-Tech in the end; logic - having experienced Mike's beast that is 'tank', I thought "why not!!".

I accept that a 'rolling road' session offers the maximum tuning potential, but having given 'stealth' serious consideration, I thought that I may just be working around the problem as opposed to resolving the issue.:confused:

In hindsight, perhaps I should have opted for a rolling road session with Stealth - "you live and learn".

I will just have to wait and see what a service and new fuel filter results in on Thursday.:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Darren

Darren C said:
Hi shoestring7,

Interested to hear that you have had a fuel contamination diagnosis. I am not wishing to high jack this 'fsi' thread, but my TDI 75 is behaving similar to your fsi it would appear. Under full throttle the power seems to 'cut in and out', there is seldom constant fueling. Does this sound similar to your symptoms? If so, what did Audi do, flush the system? I take it from your post that this has made little or no difference, however!!

Mine goes in to the dealer this week for a variable service and I have asked for a fuel filter change at the same time, though I doubt it will resolve the issue though.:mad:

As for a re-map; well I have taken the plunge and I can say that this has exaggerated the problem and not cured it as you may be hoping for. (Though to be fair it may work for your fsi).

Cheers,

Darren

Darren,
Mine is a 1.6 petrol so I'm not sure of the system in a Tdi is the same. As I understand it there's an activated charcoal in the fuel system to trap vapours. This had broken up into a sludge, and was blocking filters and pumps. The eventula fix was to dismantle and clean the fule system and fit a new pump - they had two goes at this before the symptoms were reduced. Currently its back again, this time they appear to be looking at the ECU map.

SS7

Shoestring7 said:
Darren,
Mine is a 1.6 petrol so I'm not sure of the system in a Tdi is the same. As I understand it there's an activated charcoal in the fuel system to trap vapours. This had broken up into a sludge, and was blocking filters and pumps. The eventula fix was to dismantle and clean the fule system and fit a new pump - they had two goes at this before the symptoms were reduced. Currently its back again, this time they appear to be looking at the ECU map.

SS7

Thanks for the comprehensive reply and good luck in resolving your long standing issue. :)

Hi, I have a 1.6 FSi which has the exact symptoms quote in this tread - non-linear power delivery etc. For mine it seems more noticeable between 2000 rpm and 3000 rpm. The power delivery can best be described as 'lumpy!'. Although it does seem better or worse dependant on throttle position - which has led me to believe it was a fuelling inconsistancy. I'm still pondering have a custom remap done for the car in the hope some improvement might be gained!

Last edited:
Well I have heard that VAG technicians call it FSI aka fecking stupid idea!!!
seriously though any remap will not solve a problem that isn't map related, ie if there is a sensor or component problem it can't resolve it, it can in the case of a FSI get round the drivability issues built into the software by VAG in the first instance to achieve the required emissions figure, they delibrately run things lean to achieve this which results in poorer drivability than could otherwise be achieved.

tdiman said:
Well I have heard that VAG technicians call it FSI aka fecking stupid idea!!!
seriously though any remap will not solve a problem that isn't map related, ie if there is a sensor or component problem it can't resolve it, it can in the case of a FSI get round the drivability issues built into the software by VAG in the first instance to achieve the required emissions figure, they delibrately run things lean to achieve this which results in poorer drivability than could otherwise be achieved.

No sensor issues so far - there are zero fault codes which is 1/2 the problem. In the last 12 months the ECU, Catalytic converter, fuel pump and most of the engines' sensors have been renewed, and the fuel system has been dismantled and washed through, twice. The ECU map has been examined closely and meets specs. Currently the dealer is contemplating taking the head off as they suspect the valves are "coked up". In total they've spent more than 30 hours on the car and >£1k in parts.

Actually, the dealer involved(come forward Slough Audi!!!:p ) has been excellent. Their customer service people have always kept me informed of what's going on, I've spent a couple of hours with their tech explaining the problems, and they've provided me with courtesy cars for the 10 weeks or so they've had the car. And in spite of the fact that the car is now well out of warranty, I've not been billed for their efforts.

SS7

Hello at all, I would like to give you my idea: If you see the power curve of a FSI engine provides S model, you must notice that the atmosferic engine pump up the rpm. to 7.800; our 1.6 is very energetic, but Audi must remember us to give any posibility to rise the potential.;)

I had my previous 1.6FSI "chipped" by AMD and had no problems both before and afterwards. My FSI was smooth, accelerated well, but never achieved the Audi published mpg figures. If they'd still made them in 2005 I'd have bought a second one. A brilliant car!

Hmm - that's interesting! I was just looking at AMD website today.....
Just out of interest, what MPG did you generally get with your previous FSI? Did the AMD remap have much effect?

Regards

Back