Fuel cap problem

knirirr

I'm new to this forum, having just upgraded my Audi 80 for an A2. The A2 is excellent but has one small problem, which is that the cover for the fuel filler cap pops open whilst driving. I presume that it is being jolted open and therefore that the catch is weak.

I'll probably end up having to take it to a garage but it would be helpful to know if there's any simple/quick fix. Thanks for any suggestions.

well make sure the manual catch isnt upsetting it,open the compartment in the boot behind cap and inspect there.
you could lube the pin too just incase it isnt retracting

Thanks. I couldn't see any compartment behind the fuel cap, but I have tried a bit of WD40 just in case.

Hope I'm not stating the obvious but the compartment chubbybrown referred to is in the boot. There is a removable panel for access to the drivers side rear light bulbs and the linkage for the filler flap is in there. Get someone to work the flap release button so you can check the linkage is working smoothly.

Cheers Spike

Just seen I was beaten to the post by phil

There is a removable panel for access to the drivers side rear light bulbs and the linkage for the filler flap is in there.

I see - thanks to you both for pointing that out. I did spot the light access panel but didn't think it was correct.

Edit: It looks like the problem is now fixed - thanks!

Last edited:
Back