Fuel flap door

aeroflott

The fuel flap on my A2 is permanently "open" and can't be pushed shut. My suspicions are someone popped it open with a screwdriver at some point and bust the mechanism.

It won't click shut as the latch has disappeared inside the housing. Pushing the release button inside the car doesn't make the usual 'flip" sound either.

Any chance there's an easy way to fix this?

My suspicions are someone popped it open with a screwdriver at some point and bust the mechanism. ........................
Any chance there's an easy way to fix this?

I think that you have almost answered your own question there.

You can see the mechanism from inside the boot (When you remove the plastic panel behind the lights.)

You should be able to see enough of the locking mechanism to see just how bad the damage is?

Steve B

And the chances are that this MIGHT be related to a problem with the microswitch in the driver's door being broken.

The fuel flap button is only activated when the driver's door is open and if the microswitch in the lock is broken the car thinks the door is still closed.
So a previous owner might have forced the flap open instead of opening the panel in the boot I mentioned, and operating the unlock from in there.

If you leave the lights on and try to get out, do you get the beep warning you when you open the door?
If yes, then the microswitch is probably OK.
If no, then you need someone to fix the microswitch for you.
Wth it broken it is possible to lock your keys in the car, because if you unlock the car and then don't open the driver's door for a while the system locks the doors again.
But if the microswitch is broken the system doesn't realise that you have opened the door and so it can auto lock itself, which could happen even if your keys are in the car.

Steve B

Hi everyone!
So my A2 decided to give me an Xmas present and the fuel flap won´t close, as you can see on the image.
I´ve tried,
1. To press the switch on the driver side some times, but no "electrical" sound is heard. I know that it´s a common fault when the flap doesn´t open, but does it cause the flap to not close also??

2. To open it via the tailgate access in order to see if something moves on the outside spring. But the cables don´t move either way..... I´ve tried to push it down with strength but no luck. Definitely seems like the mechanism is stuck.

3. I´ve tried also to use some WD40 on the spring and the tailgate mechanism cables, but no luck.

It doesn´t cause any particular inconvenience, since I can access the fuel filler cap, nevertheless I wanted to fix this.

Any ideas?
Many thanks

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 159
I had this issue with mine. I would first of all test the switch. The fuel flap was defective when I bought my car but what I believe had happened was the switch had jammed in the depressed position. This then toasted the solenoid and then just to really help out an orangutan of a previous owner prised the flap open with a screwdriver. Snapping the plastic tip on the locking mechanism.

I cant quite see in your photo but the solenoid appears to be retracted which is it's energised position, also the plastic tip of the locking mechanism doesn't seem to be protruding.

I would remove the switch in the B pillar, hopefully this will de-energise the solenoid. Also worth while just disconnecting the crank mechanism and verifying that the rods are all free and moving correctly.

Hopefully that makes sense, if it doesn't you're welcome to PM me.

I cant quite see in your photo but the solenoid appears to be retracted which is it's energised position, also the plastic tip of the locking mechanism doesn't seem to be protruding.

You were correct Fishman, many thanks.
The solenoid is stuck in the retracted position, so the plasic tip was not protruding to lock the flap.
I removed the connecting pin of the solenoid to the black mechanism and so I was able to shut it down again.

For now, I can open and lock the flap manually via the tailgate, it´s ok for me.

Still have to understand if the driver switch or the solenoid needs replacement, but this can be done later.

Again, appreciate your input.
Have a wonderful 2021 :)

Last edited:
You were correct Fishman, many thanks.
The solenoid is stuck in the retracted position, so the plasic tip was not protruding to lock the flap.
I removed the connecting pin of the solenoid to the black mechanism and so I was able to shut it down again.

For now, I can operate the open and lock the flap manually via the tailgate, it´s ok for me.

Still have to understand if the driver switch or the solenoid needs replacement, but this can be done later.

Again, appreciate your input.
Have a wonderful 2021 :)
@Fishman and @Pelican What are the odds?
Mac.

@Fishman and @Pelican What are the odds?
Mac.
Try removing the OSR light cluster (3x 8mm socket) for better access.

The solenoid is spring loaded so should extend into the locked position, also there is a bellcrank which is spring loaded back into the locked position.

Does the solenoid extend when it's disconnected from the rods?
Does the rest of the mechanism spring into the locked position?
Can you see the tip of the lock bolt when the fuel flap is open?

Back