Fuel flap release button

I just found this fuel flap button on the floor of my A2 SE 1.4 Petrol. Half the paint has come off, and though I expect it can be glued back is there any way to get a new button on its own?

Attachments

• 20230315_152831.jpg
    20230315_152831.jpg
    889.3 KB · Views: 79
I've just fixed mine after finding it jammed in (I don't remember doing it.

Behind this button, there should be a white plastic 'thing' and a small spring.
As my spring was missing I have removed the alarm button and used the spring to get the fuel one opening the flap.
You don't want to glue it in.

If you need to open the petrol flap? don't know if you know, but there is rod that you can use to manually open the fuel flap.
It's behind the plastic grille next to the drivers rear light cluster... access from inside the boot.

Reactions: mtl
If the cover of the button is now no longer held in by the button housing you can put some clear tape over the button and wrap down the sides a little. The button will still be able to be pushed and reset and the button will remain in place. Best to replace it when you can. Just remember if you want the pump symbol the right way up to get a button for RHD cars.

As my spring was missing I have removed the alarm button and used the spring to get the fuel one opening the flap.

If you need to open the petrol flap? don't know if you know, but there is rod that you can use to manually open the fuel flap.
It's behind the plastic grille next to the drivers rear light cluster... access from inside the boot.

Thanks for the information. Will be fuelling up later this week, so useful to know if the switch doesn't work.

If the cover of the button is now no longer held in by the button housing you can put some clear tape over the button and wrap down the sides a little. The button will still be able to be pushed and reset and the button will remain in place. Best to replace it when you can. Just remember if you want the pump symbol the right way up to get a button for RHD cars.
The lack of black on the switch was niggling me so I had in mind replacing it. Now it's fallen off I will seek a replacement. I have been looking for a while, the prices on ebay put me off, and I missed out on the rare occasions they appear on this forum. I think I've seen Audi Tradition have them, part number
8Z2959833 5PR at EUR 27.94 which is still pricey for such a small thing, still that may be the only option. What's not clear is if it's for RHD, or whether it fits any A2?

The lack of black on the switch was niggling me so I had in mind replacing it. Now it's fallen off I will seek a replacement. I have been looking for a while, the prices on ebay put me off, and I missed out on the rare occasions they appear on this forum. I think I've seen Audi Tradition have them, part number
8Z2959833 5PR at EUR 27.94 which is still pricey for such a small thing, still that may be the only option. What's not clear is if it's for RHD, or whether it fits any A2?
It is RHD, you can tell from the 2 after the Z. If it was 1 it would be LHD and if 0 either.

You are aware of Rick's help in purchasing from AT?

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for confirming. Yes, I recall reading posts many weeks ago @Rickmeister organising a group order but thought it was a one off and at that time my A2 was as good as gold. It's now starting to fall apart, the switch was only niggle however probably one of many purchases I must make. Today had a full code scan and it appears I should hunt down a coil pack too. For a 21 year old car it's to be expected age related issues show up. Sellotaped the switch as a short-term solution while I check over items for my shopping list.

Hi there,

I'm just clearing a few items and if you can hang on a little while, we can set up another group order. Fuel tank straps seem to be a "thing" at the moment!

Switches and small items are ideal.

Are the internals of these switches the same as any other VAG models?
I'm wondering if I can cannibalise one for my alarm button, the innards are missing.

No they are not.
Thank you for that information about them being different.
I have a similar problem. My fuel flap button/switch works perfectly, but my alarm (monitor) button is
broken as the retaining fingers are incredibly fragile. I still have the button.
There are obviously parts missing; a spring and plunger of some kind.
I took it all apart, and its not obvious how it works the contact, which is nice and clean, and the red diode still glows.
Can anybody give me a yes/no answer whether this broken switch can cause a battery drain, which my car does too quickly
over a week or two? The alarm has never gone off at odd times.
Many thanks, Keith.

Last edited:
The alarm switch on its own can not cause the issue with battery draining. Old batteries now will struggle to hold a charge and once a battery has gone flat it never fully recovers. The more often it goes flat the worse the recovery is.

The alarm switch on its own can not cause the issue with battery draining. Old batteries now will struggle to hold a charge and once a battery has gone flat it never fully recovers. The more often it goes flat the worse the recovery is.
Thank you. My battery, a Varta was new in late 2020.
I had it tested, after this one lost charge after leaving the car for 2 weeks or so.
The technician said it was all ok, and recommended trying to use the car every week.
I don't need to, being retired.
I check it regularly now, and recharge it.
I'd be afraid to leave it in an airport car park during a 2 week holiday.
He tested the old one (an Exide), and it proved to be useless. This one had let me down after
the first lockdown of 6 weeks, when I didn't use it at all.
I'll try disconnecting the air/con as suggested this evening.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I'm just clearing a few items and if you can hang on a little while, we can set up another group order. Fuel tank straps seem to be a "thing" at the moment!

Switches and small items are ideal.
Great, I'll hold on as the Sellotape is still working well! Tom

You confused me a little. :D
As my steering wheel is on the left and the fuel door is on the right, my first thought was what is the rod doing on the opposite side of the car? :D
But yeah, thanks for the info. I'll look for it.

Hi all.
Back in the autumn both the fuel flap and Interior monitor switches started to fall out regularly, even though I still had the spring and funny shaped plastic bit and managed to get them back in.

The A2 went up to WOM Automotive for a couple of other bits and it's MOT and they said that once they start falling out they need replacing, can't really be fixed. The fuel flap switch was £32 & Interior monitor switch £26.08. Expensive, but now working perfectly again.

Thank you. My battery, a Varta was new in late 2020.
I had it tested, after this one lost charge after leaving the car for 2 weeks or so.
The technician said it was all ok, and recommended trying to use the car every week.
I don't need to, being retired.
I check it regularly now, and recharge it.
I'd be afraid to leave it in an airport car park during a 2 week holiday.
He tested the old one (an Exide), and it proved to be useless. This one had let me down after
the first lockdown of 6 weeks, when I didn't use it at all.
I'll try disconnecting the air/con as suggested this evening.
What's behind dissconecting the Aircon?
Mac.

Back