Fuel flap switch replacement with Golf4 equivalent

NicM

I'm in the process of putting back on the road a 2003 A2 (1.6 FSI), which I bought on a whim sight unseen with a cooling system failure (exploded aftermarket pipe-of-death, hopefully minimal use without coolant,then I also changed the F265 thermostat and G294 MAP sensor, fixed some other leaks and a number of other irritating issues, some still pending).

One annoying item was a broken fuel flap switch 8Z1959833 5PR as well as the locking actuator tip 8Z0862167 (I suppose the switch first from fatigue of the range limiting straps, then the rod by use of force at the station rather than manually actuating it via the trunk...).

20240428_163901.jpg
20240418_172918.jpg

I found the actuator tip being the same as that on Audi Q7 4L0810773A which I sourced used to get the tip, and opted to adapt a similar shaped Golf4 switch (3B0959833A like). The plastic shape of the VW switch had to be trimmed a little on the back with an xacto knife so that it would rest flat on the plastic B-pillar trim (vs. Directly on metal I suppose, which would be thinner) then it fits well enough even if flat rather than curved like the original.

I got a pigtail with it to ease with the wiring and make the swap easilly reversible by soldering a little pin at the end of the 3 useful wires to plug into the female socket of the Audi A2 harness where the Audi switch used to be.

The momentary switching is expected between contacts 1 and 4 on the Audi side, and one should pay attention to polarity if the door opened red LED is expected to lit as intended (powered via Audi contact 3), so the wiring was done like this:

AudiA2 Audi wire colors VW Golf4 VW wire colors
1 red/white 3(3) red/yellow thick
3 red/blue 1(02) blue/grey thin
4 brown/yellow 2(11) blue/red thick
4(60) left hanging brown

20240425_150705.jpg
20240425_150642.jpg

one problem fixed, quite a few more to go...

Wow! Good work. Was thinking of a simple spring loaded button from RS. The wiring though......
I first thought of repairing my switch for originality (e.g. with parts from an other switch) but the plastic inards are rather small and thin, which may be why it's prone to fail... and the alarm switches, presumably of the same kinds, are not too easy or cheap to source - so plan B was to try a period correct switch, which turned out to be of the same size and operation principle.

As for fitting a RS button of sort, I would suppose wiring it so that a momentary contact is made between contact 1 and 4 of the female red conntector on the A2 harness (contact numbers are molded into the connector and can be read inside when unplugged) would do the trick? Then if you want an extra light to know when your switch is active (door opened) you can get some inspiration from the wiring of the little pcb which is inside the switch 8Z1959833 5PR (the Golf4 pcb is a bit different as it uses a 3 contact momentary inverter switch, rather than a momentary two contact switch for the A2)

index.php

Attachments

• 20240428_202347.jpg
    20240428_202347.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
The A2 B pillar switches are

Fuel Flap LHD 8Z19598335PR
RHD 8Z29598335PR

Alarm LHD 8L49621095PR
RHD 8L4962109A5PR

To use lhd switches in rhd car they are rotated 180 so mounted upside down and the same applies to use rhd switches in lhd car. The icons then become upside down.

Wow! Great first post with a How To :)

The RHD switches have not been available for some time and as @audifan says LHD ones upside down are the solution. But for those that would like a switch the right way up then your solution is another option.

Hope you get your FSI sorted. They have a reputation for being either great cars or a bottomless pit of money!

Evening Nic,

Although other options exist as mentioned above, I think what you have achieved is pretty amazing. Great work and a genius way of utilising what exists in the wider VAG range to overcoming your woes, well one of them at least.

Good luck with the other repairs on the job cards.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back