Fuel pump on fsi

AlanA2

A2OC Donor
Has anyone removed the fuel pump on an Fsi, im considering fitting the egr pipe myself, and the job would be easier if this was moved out the way.

Thanks
Alan

? the pump is directly in the tank. That's not the pump you're looking at in the engine bay... I suspect a filter.

Bret

Here is three photo's

93307817.jpg
[/IMG]

49670488.jpg
[/IMG]

69137777.jpg
[/IMG]

small metal pipe in last photo, is described as pressure pipe goes into inlet manifold.

Alan

Yes, i think the fuel pump is located under the rear seat, on the top of the fuel tank by removing the black plastic cover?

My Colour storm is going into Audi under warranty for this to be fixed in the next two weeks.

So what is it, possibly driven from cam shaft:confused: on parts catalogue desribed as fuel pump.

Alan

Last edited:
Alan, your correct it is the fuel pump, the electric pump in the fuel tanks is essentially the lift pump, the one in your picture is a secondary high pressure (mechanical) pump which essentially pressurises the fuel rail/fuel to the injectors. When some FSi owners complain of a tappet noise on start up for a couple of seconds its usually this fuel pump priming/oil supply. Its easily removed, best to have a new rubber O ring to hand in cash it gets damaged/nicked then you don't get any leaks. Only word of warning is that once you undo the fuel pipes the pressure is very high, so i would advise undoing the metal pipe first rather than the rubber hose. Hope this helps:)

Alan, your correct it is the fuel pump, the electric pump in the fuel tanks is essentially the lift pump, the one in your picture is a secondary high pressure (mechanical) pump which essentially pressurises the fuel rail/fuel to the injectors. When some FSi owners complain of a tappet noise on start up for a couple of seconds its usually this fuel pump priming/oil supply. Its easily removed, best to have a new rubber O ring to hand in cash it gets damaged/nicked then you don't get any leaks. Only word of warning is that once you undo the fuel pipes the pressure is very high, so i would advise undoing the metal pipe first rather than the rubber hose. Hope this helps:)

Many thanks for that, will hopefully be tackling the job this weekend. Been told I might not have to move this to do egr, but will wait and see.

Alan

just recently joined and have been trying to find out if anybody's got the same problem as I'm having, i've owned a 1.6 fsi sport for about a year now but recently I'm getting a loud rattle from the top end when starting, but not all the time. You mention in this post about the mechanical fuelpump, Is this likely to be the problem and if so is the only way to cure it to replace it? Your help would be apreciated

Back