Funny noise - advice please?

Hi,

I'm a newbie here and just got an Audi A2 about 2 weeks ago. So far loving it. However, I've just noticed that there's this loud, dull, humming sound when the accelerator is pressed. Can't really explain it. Trapped air, blocked ventilation kinda sound. Not really noticeable when the stereo is on. Seems to come and go. Does anyone know...? or experience the same problem?

Cheers,

Yeah I have the same, I thought it was the clutch but it actually is when pressing the gas pedel. It doesn't happen all the time but most of the time.

Thanks Spike,

Yes, I have a TDI 1.4. Sounds like a common problem then. How much is it approximately to fix this problem with the EGR? Does anyone know?

Cheers

Does it do any damage?

Afternoon everyone,

My 1.4 TDi makes the same noise, I'm not too bothered about it, as long as it doesn't cause any damage? I usually have the stereo on loud, so the odd "moo"(?) doesn't matter. But a new EGR valve sounds expensive, so is the noise / problem going to cost me money?

Cheers,

David

EGR Valve

Hi All,

Does anyone else remember reading an article about faulty EGR valve possibly causing turbo failure? It was probably in the Honest John section of Saturday's Telegraph Motoring section a few weeks ago, but I do not have it to hand.

John

Audi quoted me today £270 to replace the valve and that it might not stop the noise. To ensure that it stops they can put some additional parts to move the valve or something which would cost an on top of the above £130.

I was told it is not causing any problems and that they saw an a2 for service last week with the valve noise problem which had had this noise for a number of years.

SKF fixed my mooing car with what they called 'bobbins' I assume they are some form of isolating rubber mounting, not too sure where the EGR is on an A2, it's on the inlet manifold on an A4 but that it the mechanical version
Mike

EGR valve fix

Only me again,

The glugging / booming noise from the passenger footwell was investigated by my local friendly Audi dealer (Teesside Audi). They found some stored fault codes and decided to change the EGR valve pressure sensor-switch-thing (non-techy telling sales person told me, so sorry for the lack of technical accuracy!). That didn't cure it, so they changed the EGR valve. We picked it up this morning, so the jury out as to whether it worked or not. The very good news is that it was all covered under the Audi used car warranty, cum on!! :) :)

At first I thought I had paid a few hundred quid over the odds for the A2, but I have just cashed that in! Thank you Audi!:p

Looking for something completely different I stumbled upon this in ELSA under tech solutions EGR - which might explain the "bobbins".

Cheers

Jonathan

Technical solution
Problem description
Croaking noises when accelerating under all load conditions.

Cause
When pressing the accelerator pedal, the air column from the vacuum lines strikes the valve seat of the solenoid valve for exhaust gas recirculation. Vibrations occur due to the air column striking the valve seat, which are transmitted to the body and are perceived as unpleasant croaking noises.

Production solution
No change

Service solution
By using decoupling elements at the bulkhead in the engine compartment, the vibrations can no longer be transmitted to the body.

Assembly instructions:

Release fastening bracket of solenoid valve for exhaust gas recirculation from the bulkhead in the engine compartment. Secure both decoupling elements with part number 8Z0 133 589 at the two studs of the bulkhead and bolt the fastening bracket to the decoupling elements.

Components required:

2 decoupling elements Part No. 8Z0 133 589

Accounting instructions
Service number/ damage code/ manufacturer: 2637 / 020 / ...

Parts information
The decoupling elements are scheduled to be available from week 18 2003.

Yes, this "bobins" mod had already been done to my car and had got rid of the "moo" but not the glugging / croaking noise. The Audi technician told me that the valve was sticking when hot and making a glug noise when under load, ie when pulling away from a junction. The pressure switch that opens the valve was also faulty so they changed that aswell.
I guess the bobbins mods removes the resonance, but does not help if the valve is actually sticking. I'm no expert but I can say that the car runs much better (smoother and quieter) since the new valve was fitted, and the glugging noise has gone completely.

Cheers, Dave

I had 3 on my Beetle all changed under warranty but since I had the A2 (since new) I haven't had the problem. I would be concerned that they are charging that much to replace and fit the new EGR part. but if they fit other components (without the valve) they want another £130. Is it me or does that not sound right?

Anyway i'm sure it can't be that hard to fit. Try a VW dealer, see what they want to do the job. I assume its no longer under warranty so it won't matter. Its not like a service history, where you may wish to keep the Audi stamp this is just a little bit of work.

Back