G200 and G202 sensor signals

gerspss

who is able te tell me about the 3 connections on both sensors so what to measure ? And a schematic about the sensors and where the go so a wiring diagram maybe ?

Also have also have bought to soon without checking my A2 from 2001 1.4 the wrong twin sensor like mounted also in the A2 .

So is there a way to put this one in my car and use the twin sensor instead of the two difficult to find two sensors ? In my Dutch ;) thinking I would not think that Audi also changed the other electronic computers who receiving both signals now are also different with the one duo or seperated sensors ?

Possible or not ? Thanks in advance

Reactions: ris
The only schematic I have shows one sensor, with four wires. I would guess that two of them would be common ground, (0v) and the other two the outputs of each sensor, but that is only a guess. The separate sensors will have two wires each, one of which, (another guess), will be ground, (0v).
I'd be surprised if no one else has considered this, so maybe someone will respond with more information ...

Screenshot 2023-05-16 17.10.17.png

Mac.

Thanks and useful but the separate ones have 3 wires to connect ? So I think that with the duo sensor would be two pins should be the data/voltage and the 2 pins common ground and +power maybe ?

And the separate sensors 2 pins are +volts and common ground and 1 pin with data/voltage to come to 3 wire connection ?

Th
Thanks and useful but the separate ones have 3 wires to connect ? So I think that with the duo sensor would be two pins should be the data/voltage and the 2 pins common ground and +power maybe ?

And the separate sensors 2 pins are +volts and common ground and 1 pin with data/voltage to come to 3 wire connection ?
That would be my guess, same sensors, in one module. One wire from each goes to adjacent pins on the ABS module. Both of those wires have red as base colour, and red is usually the negative ...
You could measure resistance between those two wires on the sensor, (unplugged), and on the ABS module. Might help.
I must repeat, this is all guesswork. The risk is yours.
Mac.

who is able te tell me about the 3 connections on both sensors so what to measure ? And a schematic about the sensors and where the go so a wiring diagram maybe ?
Morning,

Found myself in a similar situation a few months ago where I had to obtain an earlier yaw rate sensor, not the easiest item to find but think I ended up fitting a replacement from a TT in the end.

That said, I’m unable to explain what to measure from the connectors as I’m not experienced enough in the ABS department but happy to add further information on top of what Mac @PlasticMac has supplied above. Here’s the pinout for the earlier A2s G200 and G202 sensors which are connected into the Mk20 ABS unit:

IMG_7012.jpeg

Comparing this image to the image from Mac you’ll notice that the pinout at the ABS end is totally different as they’re of course of a different generation.

Mk60 ABS unit:

IMG_7014.jpeg

Before you consider trying to figure out the revised pinout and swapping to the later style sensor arrangement, you must remember that this swap from 2 to 1 sensors coincides with the change from the Mk20 to the Mk60 ABS unit, to the best of my knowledge/research (very happy to be proven wrong here though), no one has documented the swap between these 2 units as it’s possibly just too much work and as such attracts too much cost if you’re unable to complete the task yourself; easier to wait for the correct part to rectify the fault. Whether or not the later dual sensor can be wired up to the earlier Mk20 ABS unit is something that I was also been unable to find evidence of. This is probably due to it not being possible; again would be very happy to be proven wrong, but don’t think the Mk20 unit will be able to correctly communicate to the with the later dual sensor. Maybe you have the time to tinker and workout what might be possible as I can confirm it’s not easy to locate the earlier sensors when yours give up.

Do let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Thank you both for the explanation messages and need some time to think about it . Looks almost impossible as it seems now . But know a car tuner who has more knowledge about the used techniques in this Audi A2 so maybe he is able to tell me more . Keep you informed off course

Worth noting that the sensors appear to be two wire devices, so passive, (resistive, piezo or moving magnet), not active, (semiconductor), I think.
Mac.

Worth noting that the sensors appear to be two wire devices, so passive, (resistive, piezo or moving magnet), not active, (semiconductor), I think.
Mac.
To me they appear three-wire. From the schematics we see three wires to the older separate sensors, and on the newer combined one there are four wires which quite likely are one common ground, one common supply and two output lines. To perform the functionality of these sensors it is almost impossible to not use active electronics in them, hence minimum three wires.

Agree with and the 3 wires . But working on 12 volts of 5 volts ? Anywhere to find out ? Opened the old 3 wire one and the Duo 4 wire sensor so this must work on a 12 of 5 volts to be active i think .

Attachments

• 2023_05_10_16_47_IMG_7027.JPG
    2023_05_10_16_47_IMG_7027.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg.c250f088a5df0330ad3b7aa443f19e90.jpg
    image.jpg.c250f088a5df0330ad3b7aa443f19e90.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Sorry I fail to understand just why you would even contemplate this. Audi spent lots of time and money, so the dual sensors for the Mk20 and combined sensor for the Mk60 are the way to go. Do not try to make a hybrid this is after all a safety critical system.

What was wrong with the original sensors?

Agree with and the 3 wires . But working on 12 volts of 5 volts ? Anywhere to find out ?
I can't see how four wires can support two, separate, three wire sensors, even if one wire is common to both sensors. Still only leaves three wires. Wouldn't you need five wires, one common, and two per sensor?
Sorry I fail to understand just why you would even contemplate this. Audi spent lots of time and money, so the dual sensors for the Mk20 and combined sensor for the Mk60 are the way to go. Do not try to make a hybrid this is after all a safety critical system.

What was wrong with the original sensors?
Sometimes, a disscussion like this improves our knowledge of our cars. No harm done quite the opposite. Just because we discuss things, doesn't mean we dash of and do them.
Mac.

I can't see how four wires can support two, separate, three wire sensors, even if one wire is common to both sensors. Still only leaves three wires. Wouldn't you need five wires, one common, and two per sensor?

Sometimes, a disscussion like this improves our knowledge of our cars. No harm done quite the opposite. Just because we discuss things, doesn't mean we dash of and do them.
Mac.
Its not one wire common it is two, most likely.

Hi have just purchased two of these sensors as reconditioned units for my 2001 A2 1.4 petrol. I only needed the lateral one, and so have a reconditioned G202 or can help you to locate th sellers of these if you prefer. They were a fraction of the price of new, and almost as cheap as a tested scrap one, but with a guarantee to last longer than a minute (or 10 years!) after fitting. Hope this helps :)

It could be a solution to keep the A2 cars with the separate sensors running if the sensors are even more difficult te get in the years to come . second it's a healthy hobby to try to get a better car with a more reliable (duo) sensor . So If Audi could make the modification from two to one duo so could we :)

But bought the two sensors so the G200 and the G202 . G200 new and the G202 as tested and good . But still the fault so speaking off no connection in the wiring . What's the most logical place to look for a wire problem with this ? Connector T17F in the A style or other places up to the ABS Unit ?

Thanks and had a look to the plastic covering but looks a bit difficult to get that off the A pillar ? Do you need also the plastic away where the fusebox is and the obd connection or could that be staying ?

Thanks and had a look to the plastic covering but looks a bit difficult to get that off the A pillar ? Do you need also the plastic away where the fusebox is and the obd connection or could that be staying ?
That under-dash panel, with the fuse box and OBD connector, can stay in place. You can remove the lower A-pillar trim independently.

Back