Garmin Zumo 550

Aikon

Past Member
Ordered one of these to replace a pda with TomTom, looking at the mounts I should be able to use it on foot, on a bicycle, motorbike and in the A2, I ordered the TMC antennae as well, I nearly bought a TomTom rider but the TomTom specific bluetooth headset put me off.

pt-zumolf-lg.jpg

Garmin Zumo website

not seen that before. interesting
Definitely lokks a good alternative to a tom tom rider. Still gonna be difficult to squeeze on to my NC30 though :)

post here how you find it. What I particularly like is it looks cooler for using in the car (on foot) etc

The Tom Tom looks a bit too bike orientated to be at home in the car, which is probably where I would use it the most if I'm honest.

It's arrived and is going back as blokesstuff.com had described it as coming with a car kit which it doesn't, they've corrected their website and are collecting this one and sending the 550 instead which does come with the car kit.

From looking at the one they sent I can use it as a handsfree kit via bluetooth using the speaker & mic built into the car bracket, also built into the car bracket are mic and earphone jack plugs so I can put a pile of music onto an sd card and use a cassette adaptor to play it through the Symphony II with nav instructions and phone via the car audio as well.

The saga continues, they sent me a 550 which I am happy to pay the extra for, it turned up today, clearly secondhand, the box is tatty, the unit is scratched and shows 97 miles trip distance, top speed 76 mph, tracklog 24% used, and the bracket is scratched with one screw missing.

Funnily enough they're collecting this one too!!

get a garmin nuvi 360T.
£301 from PC world if you reserve online (or £379 if you just walk in off the street).
I took this on a recent business trip to france and it was amazing.
It has ALL europe preinstalled and has Trafficmaster reciever. This automatically (and for free) picks up RDS signals of jams and crashes and routes you round them automatically.
I went to manchester airport from Leeds on tuesday and there was an accident at J18. The nuvi knew about it, took me of a junction early and got me there with no hassle. Coming home last night at 10pm, it knew the roads were clear and took me a much faster than normal route.
If you definately don't need europe then Halfords have the 310D which is similar for £280 online. You get the maps of europe on DVD.
The 360T has 2gig of onboard memory so you can have all of europe and still have the SD card slot free for music. Both units have bluetooth.
In my view these are better than the tomtom series.

....also if you do the reserve online and collect at store thing with PC world then any warranty returns are easier than having bought online.
Not normally a fan of PC World, but there collect at store service has some hard to beat prices from time to time.

Back