Gear selection problems

Jayw13702

A2OC Donor
Driving project second chance I have found that when downshifting from 5th to 4th it all goes a bit like trying to stir a bag of bolts and I struggle to select 4th.
Is there any adjustments or anything I should be looking for?

Yes there is an adjustment that can be done on the selector cables. But be aware is may also be a tower selector or synchromesh issue...

Evening Jay,

Here’s a link to a clip that has appeared a few times before on here. This should be good for 5 and 6 speed gearboxes.

Hope this helps out.

Kind regards,

Tom

When I adjust the cables, just before releasing the locks I apply slight pressure on the cable. It is also worth lubricating the cables with silicon grease but it is best to remove them first to do this as all too easy to kink one of the cables if trying to do them in situ.

Thanks guys, seems pretty simple.

I’m hoping that this sorts it out, I’m also aware that a gearbox oil change may help matters as well but first I’ll start with the simple stuff

If it's still bad after adjustment pop off the black plastic cover on the breather tube on the top of the selector tower and pour some gear oil down (or WD40). Work the tower up and down and through the gears to get the oil onto the sleeve bearing and the two big ball bearing guides inside.

If that helps the shift then could be tower bearing. It's built into the selector tower so if gone have to replace whole unit. 10 min DIY job to replace but local Audi parts dept was quoting £150 plus vat for one a couple of years ago.

Hi I would strongly advise draining and replacing the gearbox oil as this often makes a world of difference. Specific type /grade required around two litres when I replaced mine found it had lost about 50 percent of its capacity after 137k miles worked much smoother after initialy I was having difficulty selecting third gear

Hi I would strongly advise draining and replacing the gearbox oil as this often makes a world of difference. Specific type /grade required around two litres when I replaced mine found it had lost about 50 percent of its capacity after 137k miles worked much smoother after initialy I was having difficulty selecting third gear
Obvious point of course, but take the filler cap off before draining the gearbox oil - if you drain it and then find you can't, you'll have a dead gearbox.

I second the above, change the oil, although I would do it (potentially) twice - use the cheapest correct grade you can find. If that sorted the issue to a large extent, then drain again (thereby flushing any residual contamination out) and fill with the highest quality fully synthetic oil you can - I rate Redline gearbox oils very highly off the back of Opie Oils’s recommendations - you can then go down a grade in viscosity without sacrificing wear protection, which will further improve the gear change and theoretically give you a slight friction-loss (hence fuel economy) improvement.

Of course, if the change doesn’t improve things, don’t do this second change until the issue is fixed

If it's still bad after adjustment pop off the black plastic cover on the breather tube on the top of the selector tower and pour some gear oil down (or WD40). Work the tower up and down and through the gears to get the oil onto the sleeve bearing and the two big ball bearing guides inside.

If that helps the shift then could be tower bearing. It's built into the selector tower so if gone have to replace whole unit. 10 min DIY job to replace but local Audi parts dept was quoting £150 plus vat for one a couple of years ago.
I paid £180 inc VAT from Audi Crewe last year. The new selector tower made the box feel brand new at 118k miles.

Ian

I’ve just been having a look at the tower assembly and there seems to be a lot of FreePlay on the top bracket that bolts into the tower.
When I grab hold of it I can move it up and down about an inch and a half, this bracket is the One that my fingers are resting under in the picture
So I’m guessing that that is part of the tower assembly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 170
I believe it should move up and down. See my thread:

Ian

I believe it should move up and down. See my thread:

Ian

Mine feels “sloppy”

Thanks for the info on the tower, doesn’t look too bad a job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took the car out on the road today, that was an experience!!!!!

the 1st to 2nd change is smooth and predictable.
2nd to 3rd is a bit of a lottery, you have to hold the lever quite a way over to the right to select 3rd.
3rd to 4th is another hit and miss affair, again you have to keep the lever over to the right.
4th to 5th is quite easy, however downchanging presents as many challenges as going up through the gearbox.

My overall feeling is that the selector tower is at fault, however it also needs an oil change as well so it may be a case of doing both at the same time, and very soon

Not sure it was supplied by the customer and I stripped down the tower and fitted it
A bit of tooling needs to be made up to remove the old bearing sleeve but nothing too difficult

Paul

A similar gear shifting problem we had last year was cured by changing the clutch slave cylinder. It’s a cheap and easy job and might just cure your issue.

You don’t happen to have a picture of the ‘breather tube’ do you? I’m not sure which bit this would be and I’ve just covered the tower with Polyurea grease so it’s a little hard to poke around and remains clean just now.

Back