Gearbox stiff 1.4tdi

Fabio

Dear All,
I have bought recently an Audi a2 1.4tdi with 138.000km. Everything works very well, I'm totally satisfied fromt the car. I have just a problem: the gearbox seem to be very stiff to move, in every gearchange, in both cold and warm condition...I tried to put some oil into the gear cables, but nothing canghed...Someone can help me?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Fabio

thanks for the reply Spike...
how can I check the oil level? The mechanism to adjust the gearchange cable is not so accessible, but I'll try!! Then, do I have to rotate the bracket in the same direction as in the video (90° in clockwise direction), or maybe in the opposite way? I'm afraid I can do some mistakes....By looking under the gearstick from above there is already a small holes in the rubber protection, propably a previous operation was done....thanks a lot for your support!

I mean, the shifter stick doesn't play, but as opposite is quite stiff....so maybe the rotation of the bracket need to be in the opposite direction...

The oil level / filler plug is on the side of the gearbox. The car needs to be on level ground with the undertray removed so its best done over a pit or on a garage lift
I have not done the gearchange cable adjustment myself but several members have followed the you-tube video and found the procedure straight forward. Suggest you get help from a mechanic friend if you have difficulty following it.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4261&highlight=gearbox+oil

Cheers Spike

I adjust the cables following the video procedure, much more simple then what I expected!!! The situation is not better then before, so I'm afraid I would need to change the cables....any others idea? Thanks a lot

Fabio

Hi Fabio
Its unlikely the cables are at fault. Not sure if this is possible but could you disconnect the cables at the gearbox end then move the gearstick around to see how smooth the cables operate. Make sure you know where each cable fits so you can reconnect them then re-do the setting procedure.
Other possibilities are a stuck reverse gear switch or a rusted selector shaft. More reading here - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10211&highlight=stiff+gearchange

Cheers Spike

Back