Gearbox woes

Smick

Hi everyone.

I have searched for this and can find no mention of it so here goes.

Yesterday I left my A2 for a "mini valet". Wash with the powerhose, wax, clean glass inside and out and polish dashboard.

Since I have got it back, I have had trouble selecting first gear. The easiest way to do it seems to be to go to second but not put it in all the way and then push forward into first. But even this requires significant pressure and I don't like to feel I am forcing it.

Firstly, does anyone know what the cause of this could be?

Secondly, could it have anything to do with getting the car washed? The car wash is basically a few Albanian guys on a derelict piece of land with a generator, compressor and a few sprays.

I am worried about this so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

In side the engine bay their is a big lump of metal that is attached to the gear selector on the box check to see that it moves without obstruction and why you are their spray a bit of WD40 were the cable ends just in case they washed all the loob off it.

cheers
Robin

Last edited:
I was just setting off from Dublin to Belfast when I was travelling along a long stretch of road. I realised that there was no fifth gear so when I pushed the gear lever forward and to the right, I was going into third. First had started to select easily.

I was at a roundabout and had a bit of momentum and put the car into first, only to find that it had gone into reverse. So it seemed that the whole selector has shifted to the right.

I got the AA out and there are two long cables with a loose spring around them. One of them appears to have broken. The mechanic passed me out the snapped bits.

Isaac Agnew Audi had the gearbox out in the last six months so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I also had the car serviced in the last three weeks so there has been some action under the bonnet.

I have an extended warranty with Agnews so the AA have taken the car away for the night and will deliver it to them in the morning. Unfortunately I left my license in the car so cannot take up the AA's offer of 48 hours free car rental although they are going to put me on the train first class to Dublin tomorrow.

Thanks alot for your response Robin and I am sure I will need assistance from the members of this great forum as my dealings with Agnews progress.

Smick.

Just to keep you up to date.

One of the cables which select the gears broke. The car has been with Audi since last Monday.

While they have it in there changing the cable, I have had them change the anti roll bar and brushes.

They are yet to look at the problem I am having with the instant MPG sensor and the cruise control switch. I am also to have the left heated wing mirror, which is not working, fixed.

For the gearbox and the arb, 6.5 hours of labour has been done so far, plus the price of the parts.

The £250 extended warranty from Lumley Insurances which I bought last year will pick up the tab for the entire amount!

Pretty good, eh?

Smick,

Pleased to hear that you are getting all of your faults fixed and under warranty too... how pleased are you!! :)

With all of that labour charge, plus parts, you will probably save hundreds; even accounting for your initial £250 warranty fee.

Nice to see that there is another success story out there for "Joe Public".

Cheers,

Darren

I'd say Isaac Agnew Audi are laughing all the way to the bank too. Not only do they earn commission off having sold me the warranty, they have Lumley paying them for all the work I need done.

I saw David Agnew who runs the Agnew Group in the Sunday Times Rich List with £65m to his name. It is no surprise, given the rates they charge and the flashy dealerships they have for Audi, VW, Porsche, SAAB, Mercedes, BMW and Volvo.

Great that you're getting it sorted out.
Great for me too having taking out the Lumley for 3 years!

Hope it's as good as new.

Cheers

glock17

I can really recommend that Lumley policy. They didn't even ask to see proof of the last service, even though I had it done in a ROI Audi dealer so Agnews don't have record of it on their system.

I am beginning to think I should have gone for more than one year.

Back