Geneva SHOW!!! ...on buttons and clicks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johann

Went to Geneva yesterday to see the cars... got back today... Just want to say there was only 2 cars I would consider to buy for myself (that I can actually afford that is... dreaming of an Aston Martin AMV8 is another thing). And they are the Audi A2 and the new smart roadster... they had a beautiful Avus-silver A2 on the stand - a dark silver that is not completely charcoal - gorgeous in S-line trim with Open Sky and half leather black seats with lighter fabric central panels... this car still ticks all the boxes I want ticked and there is NOTHING else like it!!!!

The smart roadster is something I'm thinking of as a toy for weekends... but I'll see how much they cost when they land in the UK...

...so no more fears of me deserting to the Megane Sport Hatch brigade!!! Took a DCI 1,9 for a spin on Sunday and though faster than the 1,5 DCi it was just sooooo soulless... duff handling, vague steering... nope A2 is best for me: got the distinctive looks, the handling, the steering , the sound and above all the quality. I climbed in and out of nearly every car in Geneva, played with nearly every cupholder, door opener and electric window button... and nothing compares to an Audi... I may be baised as I have one... but still, next to each other, few things match an Audi for interior tactileness...

Did anyone read the article in the quarterly Audi magazine (Touch Sensitive Spring/Summer 2002) where they spoke to the engineers re how buttons should feel and SOUND? They basically said that the moment you notice a button it means it is in the wrong place... that if they work perfectly and are where you expect, they as engineers have done their job... so my point: small thing, but Audi buttons "click" when you press them... noticed it? It is so you know it was actually pressed... how many other cars I found that did that? Only one and it was the Alfa 156... the 147 was silent... and I could not get into the new Rolls Royce so can't comment!

Also how many of you can find the buttons "blind" in your A2? Ever tried it? On cars with climatronic there are 2 little pointy bits on each side between the buttons... same on the radio. They are not there for show... To adjust the temparature I reach there without looking, find the 2 pointy bits and then I know that the temp button is to the right of them... easy... and very clever and not in your face... just one of the lots of small reasons why I can't see myself geting anything else than another Audi after the A2...

Speaking of which: the new A3 was launched at Geneva... hmmm... nice if bland, strong "face", slighly fat rear, Ok interior but not so nice and very hard, shiny dash material... much like the hard shiny stuff in the Alfa 147... pity... now a 3,2 A3 with DSG gearbox sounds just nice to me... but I'd wait for the A3 5 door allroad with a 2,0 136bhp diesel and DSG auto... yum... and then some MUD!!!

and iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve

Interesting you liked the smart roadster. Maybe us A2 owners think alike! We own a smart coupe and were smitten by the Roadster when we saw it in Birmigham last year - left the Streetka standing. Only problem with it will be cost - early estimates are £15,000 for a decent entry level then allow up to £5k for goodies (UK prices)- makes it very expensive when the Streetka will cost £12,500 plus goodies.

True but have you sat inside a streetka yet? It is not special at all... dire, dire Ka interior with about 4 silver PIANTED bits to uplift the experience...

In the smart you sit low - VERY low and it just feels like a proper sports car... in the latest CAR magazine they tested the smart roadster and Tom Ford's final verdict was to buy the smallest 60Kw version with the standard alloy wheels and no power steering to spoil things as this is the purest and best way to appreciate the car... so I'm thinking of a standard 60Kw with heated leather seats as the only option...

We couldn't sit in them at Birmingham as they only had the two and they were doing all the shows, but they did look very low. Unfortunately the UK models all have power steering as standard.

The same aplies here in the Netherlands as well the cars I like are the 3 kind of smarts a fiat multipla and off course our beloved A2.
And those cars are the ones a lot of people dislike because they look different from the rest.
I forgot a couple I also like the new look renaults the new Megane the Avant time and the Vel Satis.
ANd the Citroen where I do not know the name of but the new cabrio one.
I think I just got a taste for funny cars when years ago I bought a twingo everybody thought it was from another planet but they also still excist

Jeff *(yoyoman

Yoyoman: I totally agree... I love weird(er) looking cars too... so thought about a Multipla as well but it was just too wide and big... on the whole I get more looks in my A2 than any Audi TT or even Porsche Boxter driver gets in London!!! Just because our cars are far more rare! The place where I get the most stares and pointed at is definitely France. Even now they look at the A2 as if it is from another planet! And though before I never thought of that as a reason to buy a car, but it does make you feel warm inside when people do that... :D

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back