Getting a stealth remap

riverlad

A2OC Donor
Having spoken to mike when he did a first class job of fitting my cruse, I have decided to take the plunge and goto stealth and get my car remaped next monday.

From what everyone has said on here I think it will be a great addition to the car.

Just hope the weather holds out and not to bad on monday:)

I will have to resist the temtation to use to much of my lead foot on the way home:D

Weather permitting (it's forecast to be bad on Sunday) you certainly won't regret a visit to Stealth.

As the fun police haven't set an acceleration limit yet (just a speed limit, but I daresay they'll try to do you in some way!) just use the map to get up to speed quickly, then activate the cruise!

Have fun and report back with your findings.

Cheers

Mike

Yes please come back with your opinion, as real world views are always interesting to read.

I've been Stealthed (not sure if i'd had it done at AITP, I think I had) Its best thing I've done to the car since I've had it! Its much smoother and my MPG has gone up (just). I would definitely recommend it :)

Booked in for the magic on 23rd! :)
You won't regret it.
I was worried as it didn't look like anyone besides Mike had had a 90 done, but it's holding up just fine.
Infact it's almost unusable, I can't just hoof the throttle below 2.5k, as it breaks traction (not all the way up the scale though thanks to the pesky T/C), even in 5th :eek:

Had my 90 sport done three years ago now and its great, especially when you have cruise fitted too. 250+mile round trips with the family and a full boot down
to Kent are a lot more pleasant with the extra torque.
Also stops you from getting bullied by the bigger boys on the motorway too.

:cool:

Well back home now having driven 400 ish miles post Stealth remap. I am very pleased with the results. The car is smoother and soooooo much more torquey and eager. It feels like the way the car should have been ( if that makes sense?)

Vince is very knowledgable on the A2 as has been well documented on here; however with remapping he definitely goes the extra mile to get the blend right. I'm sure I'd have been happy with the first library map that was put on the car; but Vince explained it was hitting the safety tolerances on the turbo and the boost was being cut back as a result. This also had the potential to cause damage.

Half a dozen tweaks and a road test later we were both happy; with me grinning like a cheshire cat with the upgraded 119bhp and 221lb of torque under the right foot.

Just need to get used to being gentle with the throttle in low gears now; as it loses traction very easily in 1st and 2nd gear.

It was sitting at 95.6 BHP and 186lb torque from the factory which was already nippy - but I definitely have the fun factor now! Highly recommended for anyone who hasnt had this done already and is thinking about it.

UGlad you got back safely and had a bit of fun on the drive home.great to see you again hopefully next time you will have Your girls with you.

Cheers

David

Last edited:
murdo,

What sort of mileage did you have on your A2 when it was remapped? I have an '04 TDI 90 Sport with 124K which I'm toying with the idea of getting remapped, but I guess I'm a little concerned about the miles.
Stealth are just up the road from me - I used to take my Golf Rallye there a good few years back..

murdo,

What sort of mileage did you have on your A2 when it was remapped? I have an '04 TDI 90 Sport with 124K which I'm toying with the idea of getting remapped, but I guess I'm a little concerned about the miles.
Stealth are just up the road from me - I used to take my Golf Rallye there a good few years back..

The car has 82k and still feels tight as a drum. I emailed Vince about the pros and cons of mapping the 90. The clutch is fine, and the map has been tailored to avoid maxing out the turbo. Ring or email him for a chat.

murdo,

I had Stealth remap my 75 at 130k-ish miles. Vince will run the car on the rolling road a bit and test for various bits and pieces prior to making any changes in order to assess the health of your car. He's also mechanically considerate with his maps, so I'd go for it.

Tom

Last edited:
119bhp and 221lb of torque under the right foot.

Just need to get used to being gentle with the throttle in low gears now; as it loses traction very easily in 1st and 2nd gear.

It was sitting at 95.6 BHP and 186lb torque from the factory which was already nippy - but I definitely have the fun factor now! Highly recommended for anyone who hasnt had this done already and is thinking about it.

Is that too much torque for the gearbox? Assuming the 90 has the same gearbox as the 75, it's only rated to take 250Nm / 184 lbft

The TDI90's gearbox is different in that some of the ratios are slightly longer, but the basic gearbox is the same. All A2 TDIs use 02J transmissions, which are rated up to 250Nm of torque (184 lbft).

There are plenty of remapped TDI75s that are pushing this limit, and a remapped TDI90 will go beyond. However, the chances of you doing your 'box damage is pretty small.
If you're spinning the engine at the rotational speed where you get peak torque and you then pop the clutch in 1st gear, you could damage that gear's teeth or the bearings, etc. However, that's not a normal thing to do. In normal driving, peak torque will happen when you're already driving, the gearbox is already spinning, etc. As such, there are no sudden impacts. Despite there being a fair number of remapped TDI90s kicking around, no one has ever experienced gearbox issues as a result.
VR6 engines attached to 02J transmissions well exceed the gearbox's rated limits by some margin, but as long as the driver isn't deliberately abusive there shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers,

Tom

Back