Getting on with my A2

peeteeb

Hello everyone,
i guess i should start here being a 'newbie'(i'd like to think there's an L in there somewhere!!)so,bought a Tdi 1.4 after recommendations and a few drives in a close friends A2 (he has a boost gauge and is currently running at about 108 bhp with a larger 5th gear!). very impressed with the build quality but less impressed with the previous owner only using three screws to hold on the undertray which 'flapped down 'pretty soon after purchase ,good old duct tape is sorting that out whilst i await a new guard and a full set of mounts! the PO also neglected to remount the fuel filter housing which is just sort of hanging about in the engine compartment but hey i still got myself a lovely little car with 86k on the clock, few minor scratches and dinks but not bad for a 16 yr old car! JUST ONE THING, are all A2 drivers fitted with serious upgrades to the lower back? my little tank hits those ever increasing number of pot holes hard (obv i'm trying to avoid them) so much so that last night on a duel carriageway at 70mph i hit one with such a bang it quite gave me a shock(and not usually being one of a timid disposition )so today i noticed my nearside tyre was looking a tad flat and when i went to get some more air in it noticed a 80mm crack and a deformation to my tyre,is this usual?,am i to expect this every time i hit a hole? should i write to my MP?what does all that vehicle tax get spent on anyway? AND THEN i realised that £30 isn't going to fix many holes anyhow.arse.
is there anyone out there who can tell me of a suspension upgrade or do i have to go for smaller rims and bigger tyres,marry a chiropractor and stock up on spare alloys??also it would be really handy to know if there is a 'spell check' on the forum !!
thanks,loving my A2 and dreaming about my 6 speed upgrade,one day;one day
Domp

Welcome to a2oc sounds like your getting the issues sorted out. If your car is a "sport" with the stiffer suspension then yes they can be harsh - sports have three spoke steering wheel, alloy shaft to gear knob-and the multi spoke 17"alloys with 40 series tyres. The common suspension upgrade is Koni FSD dampers but they are not cheep so the last couple of years quite a few of us have changed to Monroe Reflex dampers that use a very similar damping tech but at over half the price. Many others also go for smaller wheels higher tyres but i love the handling that 17' wheels offer.
Hope that helps mike

Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike,i pretty sure mine is not a sport but i do suspect that it needs new dampers!thanks for your input! i also love the way the car drives it's taking a bit more care avoiding pot holes and getting over the speed bumps-i think the speed 'lumps' they have here in Gloucester are a bit wider than others i've encounteredand you have to line them up just right.. Thanks again for your advice .Pete

Back