Glovebox hinges...?

Vanders

Evening. Is the glovebox door held in with pins and can these pins/hinges become loose?

If so, how does the door come off?

The right hand side of the ‘lid’ doesn’t seem to be fixed properly. I have to push it closed them downward for it to engage

Two "hinges" basically two short brass rods about (from memory) 50mm long and 8mm diameter. These can work their way out and the door drop. Easy enough to fix, remove glovebox and reinsert hinge pin and maybe with a touch of superglue around the splined bit.

image.jpeg

Good opportunity to fix your broken glovebox light switch with a Depronman tang!

Andy

Last edited:
Well
Removing the glovebox took all of 5 minutes.
One of the brass pins is actually
Missing...

Well
Removing the glovebox took all of 5 minutes.
One of the brass pins is actually
Missing...

Lift the front carpet up and check if the pin as worked it’s way under the carpet or even into the secret compartment. I’ve found the missing pin here on some A2 and even in the ash tray on one

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Box back in but still no light working... have tried 2 bulbs too... think I may have the wrong bulbs?
Anyone know what the correct bulb should be??

Lift the front carpet up and check if the pin as worked it’s way under the carpet or even into the secret compartment. I’ve found the missing pin here on some A2 and even in the ash tray on one

Paul

What Secret Compartment?

Our glovebox is difficult to keep closed and found brass pin on passenger side floor so that takes care of tomorrow morning!Havnt worked out were pin has come from but hopefully will be able to sus it out!!

Our glovebox is difficult to keep closed and found brass pin on passenger side floor so that takes care of tomorrow morning!Havnt worked out were pin has come from but hopefully will be able to sus it out!!
Once you remove the glovebox it will become clear where the pin goes, even a touch of superglue on the splines to encourage it not to go wandering again might be an idea.

If you want some guidance on removing the glovebox, Sarge has a description in his 'How To' thread, here.

A tip from me, requisition some cushions from the living room to rest the glovebox on when finally free. This avoids supporting the glovebox in one hand to avoid breaking the wire that supplies the light and simultaneously trying to undo the pesky electrical connector. Much more relaxed having two hands free. This is how I dealt with the pesky connector.

You may not be aware there is a mechanical switch that turns off the glovebox light when the door is closed which will inevitably be broken (weak design) and results in the glovebox light burning continuously even with the door closed, quickly using up its lifespan. It can be simply repaired with a repair tang purchased from Paul(Depronman), in fact I would hold off removing the glovebox until you have it at hand.

Andy

Last edited:
My switch was defective due to the two contacts that touch when the glove box is open we’re not, so I put an elastic band around to close the contacts and the “hammer” separates them when the glove box is closed switching off the light.
John

Back