Glow plug warning light flashing...

abre

So a kind sole drove in to me on a roundabout bending both front chassis rails and a few other bits, took 2 months to repair, ran out of MOT while on the body shop, needed a 50,000 service... so when I got my poor A2 back I got it to my dealer who MOT'd it and serviced it also fixed the run on when the ignition turned off (£70) some pipework not properly connected from the rebuild they said, got the bodyshop to reimburse me. But as I drove off the dealers forcourt I noticed the dear glowplug warning light flashing. So back in to service reception for a rant, told them it was the brake light switch, but they had to check it and confirmed my diagnosis, 2 months later a switch was available (they were on back order) fortunately switch was working so did have brake lights. Decided to fit the switch my self after being told it was a minimum half hour job as the switch needed adjustment, shame roadside change them in 5 mins flat... Anyway new switch fitted but the warning light was still flashing. Only thing not working was the diesel shut off if you left foot brake... so started to think it was a bodyshop gaff, so I opened the passenger footwell up to find it well covered with aluminium grit, Mmmmm methinks debris from replacing the chassis rails, to cut an even longer story short, I pulled the 3 connectors appart on the dashboard loom (brown, green & blue) to find the brown socket full of aluminium grit, cleaned it all out and now the light has stopped flashing and the engine stops correctly and it runs better... How much would that have cost to be found and fixed by the dealer?

As a matter of interest was it one of the 3 audi ally body shops that did the work?
On the brakelight switch change, most dealers and mechanics will have a minimum charge of half an hour, it's not just the physical time working on the car you pay for, there is moving it into the bay, covering the seats, the actual work, moving back out of the bay and the paperwork, it all adds up, sadly the stealers exhobitant £95+ per hour labour rate doesn't help, and somebody has to pay the service reception staffs wages as well!!

It was, work done at Smith Knight Fay in Audenshaw Stockport.

As for the half hour charge, it was the justification that the switch required adjusting which if you've fitted one you'll know they are self adjusting which got to me!

I did notify the body shop but I can't say they were falling over themselves with gratitude.

Back