Going to get my 75 BHP Chipped

CD17

A2OC Donor
After reading a few of the threads on here about Chipping, I have decided to get my 05 75BHP TDi Chipped/Remapped :)

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13586

I phoned up Vince yesterday from Steath & had a chat, I am getting a full service & cam belt change on the 8th October, so as soon as this is done I will book it in :D

Do I get a report or something that I need to tell my insurance about & has anyone had any problems with insurance after having this kind of work done ?

re. insurance: check before you proceed. Some companies will not mind, others will charge extra, some will not insure.

My insurance company will not insure me if I have this done, so I might wait until December when my insurance runs out, or have a phone around now & see what I can get ;)

Do I get a report or something that I need to tell my insurance about & has anyone had any problems with insurance after having this kind of work done ?

I was with Churchill and they initially quoted about £30 to add 20bhp to a 75. When I rang to say I was going ahead they said they were no longer accepting mods. Ended up at Equity Red Star via Adrian Flux. Cost £100 more but that includes x weeks continental cover.

Vince at Stealth gave me some before and after printouts but the insurer didn't ask to see them.

Think I'm going to have to wait until nearer the time my insurance is due in December & have a look around then, I'm getting silly quotes at the moment :mad:

Just had my insurance renewal £330, so I contacted Adrian Flux to get a quote if I get my car chipped & I was quoted £580 :(

Not sure it worth getting my car chipped now :mad:

I think Adrian Flux are taking the wee wee. Did you talk to the right people there? My 944T didn't cost that to insure with them and my much modded Astra was only around £450 and that is with me having 6 points at the time...

I think Adrian Flux are taking the wee wee. Did you talk to the right people there? My 944T didn't cost that to insure with them and my much modded Astra was only around £450 and that is with me having 6 points at the time...

I don't know if I talked to the right people, but I was a bit shocked :mad:

I have had a clean licensee for over 20 years & this was only 3 points, full no claims, the car is parked on my drive at night.

I would have thought that 10-15% increase would have been about fair.

Does anyone else have any other insurance companies who cover modified cars ?

OMG. Thats well cheap

Flux have just quoted me £950 for my A2 with remap, alloys and lowered.

I have had 2 non fault prangs in the last year and only 25 with 1 years no claims.......... but still 3X the price. Crazy

John

Getting mine mapped next weekend......... woop

John

Maybe I will get mine done then, I guess a couple 100 £££ is not so bad when you consider the extra fun it will provide :D

I assume it's possible to un-map/chip as well if I needed to when selling ?

Provided the person remapping the vehicle has retained the factory settings, then reversion is possible.

Whether this would cost and why you would want to (whether selling or otherwise), I can't say/see the point.

Cheers,

Darren

Maybe I will get mine done then, I guess a couple 100 £££ is not so bad when you consider the extra fun it will provide :D

You should mate. Will be well worth it. See if you can get it done on sat too lol

John

Provided the person remapping the vehicle has retained the factory settings, then reversion is possible.

Whether this would cost and why you would want to (whether selling or otherwise), I can't say/see the point.

Cheers,

Darren

I was only thinking if I was to sell it.

Remap done

Stock was 87Bhp now up to 108.7Bhp
Torque wise went from 161 to 181 ftlb (245Nm)

Enjoyed the pleasant drive home.

John

Last edited:
What 87BHP from a standard 75 ?

So how do they determine the BHP at the factory ?

& now it's 108 BHP :eek:

Apparently most of the TDI 75 pre early 2003 are above 75 Bhp.

Also the outcome of Bhp and torque depends on the year of your car and the type of turbo it has.

After late 2003 they have VNT so you get more torque rather than Bhp - according to vince.

Very knowledgeable guy and doesn't mind you asking questions and watching which I though was cool.

And if your not happy with the map, he will tweak it for you

John

VW group engines are noted for being conservative with their power output ratings. I have never read of a healthy VAG diesel engine that doesn't comfortably exceed manufacturers claims. Makes a change from such as Jap and other manufacturers who seem to have the reverse reputation.....

Ooh, later ones are VNT? :cool:

Iirc the factory DIN spec ratings are the output achievable at 100k kms or something like that, basically a reliable output rather than a once-in-it's-life output.

Back